Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Great pics - thanks for sharing. It's nice to see some areas of the country are truly green as opposed to here in TX where the lawns turn brown pretty early in the summer unless you water like crazy. Wish we had more roads like that too - small, empty, and scenic!

· Banned
1,013 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:
Great pics - thanks for sharing. It's nice to see some areas of the country are truly green as opposed to here in TX where the lawns turn brown pretty early in the summer unless you water like crazy. Wish we had more roads like that too - small, empty, and scenic!
I agree I do love to see the green. That turtle rocks!!! :D

Please do post more...

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KendleFox said:
I agree I do love to see the green. That turtle rocks!!! :D

Please do post more...
Thanks for the kind words. Alas, those are all the photos from this ride. That turtle was the biggest I've seen; it must have been at least a foot and a half long. I was on the local bike path on my way out of town, and a cyclist coming from the opposite direction said "watch out for the turtle up ahead." I waved and thought it was one of those 3 inch, micro-turtles. Not this time, and well I had to take its picture for posterity. :)

I'll try and take some more shots of the local greenery this weekend...

· Non non normal
10,185 Posts
Mr. Peabody said:
Thanks for the kind words. Alas, those are all the photos from this ride. That turtle was the biggest I've seen; it must have been at least a foot and a half long. I was on the local bike path on my way out of town, and a cyclist coming from the opposite direction said "watch out for the turtle up ahead." I waved and thought it was one of those 3 inch, micro-turtles. Not this time, and well I had to take its picture for posterity. :)

I'll try and take some more shots of the local greenery this weekend...

Nice pictures.

That was a soup turtle. It would have made a big pot of snapping turtle soup.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wooglin said:
I'm flying into Logan on Thursday, then heading up to points north and ye olde homestead for 10 days. From your pics, contrary to all the reports I'm getting, it looks like its not actually raining. I sure hope so. :)
Well, a few weeks ago I was gathering the animals two by two, but then after about a week the weather cleared, so I had to set them free.

I think most of the flooding has subsided, and it's been pretty nice lately. As you're undoubtedly aware, the weather here is, umm...always interesting. Mostly it's been cool (in the high 60s and low 70s), perfect temperatures for riding.

Hope the weather is cooperative for your visit.

· Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
Mr. Peabody said:
Well, a few weeks ago I was gathering the animals two by two, but then after about a week the weather cleared, so I had to set them free.

I think most of the flooding has subsided, and it's been pretty nice lately. As you're undoubtedly aware, the weather here is, umm...always interesting. Mostly it's been cool (in the high 60s and low 70s), perfect temperatures for riding.

Hope the weather is cooperative for your visit.
Note to self: bring knee warmers..... ;)

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Man, those shots bring back memories. That's my old stomping grounds!

My brother used to deal with a bunch of snapping turtles when he was doing his PhD work. He was inventorying various amphibious populations (yeah, yeah, turtles are reptiles. I saw "Over the Hedge) in Groton, MA. So he had to tag a lot of turtles. He has good stories about 'rasslin' some 60lb snappers. Did you know that their necks are so long they can ALMOST reach all the way around to their tails with their jaws? They can also bite through a 1" thick tree branch. Luckily, my brother made it through his "studies" with all his fingers attached.

Yours,

FBB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.