Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be pulling a BOB trailer when we do a week long trip to San Juans/Puget Sound in a couple of weeks. How wide should I go? There will also be riding without the trailer, so I wouldnt want it to hinder me when we climb Mt. Constitution or other rides.

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
Changes

dodi said:
I'll be pulling a BOB trailer when we do a week long trip to San Juans/Puget Sound in a couple of weeks. How wide should I go? There will also be riding without the trailer, so I wouldnt want it to hinder me when we climb Mt. Constitution or other rides.
The BOB is carrying it's own weight, so there's not much added weight on your bike. Consider the road surface as to whether you need wider tires. If you're pushing the limits now, then stepping up a size might make sense, but if you're riding at 100-110 psi and not getting pinch flats now, then you probably don't need to make any changes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Limited experience, but...

I've spent a lot of time on Orcas, and as the years have gone by most of the roads have been recently paved. However, the way up to mt. constitution is lined by a very deep run off channel. You could find yourself "off roading" depending on how intimidating you find the local drivers. Also, some of the best views are from private ish roads, and many are still gravelled.

Don't know about other islands, except Friday Harbor is pretty paved. I would say if you're not going too fast anyway, b/c of the bob trailer, error on the side of rear end comfort ;) and go with a chubby tire like a 32 without knobbies.

Man I am jealous, I've been wanting to tour the san juans with a bike for a long time now. Hope you will post pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.