Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built a front rack this weekend, pictures in the Lounge:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=2084360#post2084360

ANyways, I pulled the 700x35's off my Surly LHT today, and switched over to a set of Michellin Metropolis. I like the feel a bit better in that they are a bit quicker, a tad more rough, but thats ok for now.

Does anyone tour with a set of Metropolis? Any thoughts as to "what makes a good touring tire?"

THanks all,

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My preference is for 700x28 versions of general training tires. Conti Ultras and Hutchison Top Speeds have worked well for me. Neither cost much; both perform well enough with the panniers off; and are reasonably durable. I prefer them to the 700x28 Paselas, but if you like larger tires the 700x32 Paselas are excellent.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've used the Continental City Ride tires for 6 months of commuting and weekend rides with no flats. They feel like riding a cadilac as far as comfort goes. I have the 32s.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pcocrd/continental_city_ride_tire/pp.htm

The bike I have these on is now my dedicated commuter (yay new bike!). I did take this bike on a 10 mile MUT trail that mixes pavement and crushed granite trails. They did great on the non-paved portions.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those of you who run the 700x28's, what is the typical pressure rating of those tires? The Michellins are 87psi max... Just wondering, becuase this is really the closest thing to a "load rataing" that bicycle tires have...

Thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can't go wrong with either the Conti Gator Skins or the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes...........MTT :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Spinfinity said:
My preference is for 700x28 versions of general training tires. Conti Ultras and Hutchison Top Speeds have worked well for me. Neither cost much; both perform well enough with the panniers off; and are reasonably durable. I prefer them to the 700x28 Paselas, but if you like larger tires the 700x32 Paselas are excellent.
I like Paselas as low-cost substitutes for Rivendell's Ruffy-Tuffys. I'd get the R-Ts if I wanted a "nicer" biggish/tough tire, but the Pasela is pretty darn good, too.

PS. Oh, and I see they now have a tire called Jack Brown, if you want a full-volume 33mm tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.