Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll be touring Wa. state soon for a week.I'll be pulling a BOB yak trailer and I'm thinking that I'm gonna need some more help on some of the climbs.I have an Ultegra 9 spd now and was weighing the pros and cons of triple or compact..any thoughts on what I might need?Thanx...Dodi

·
Registered
75 Posts
dodi said:
We'll be touring Wa. state soon for a week.I'll be pulling a BOB yak trailer and I'm thinking that I'm gonna need some more help on some of the climbs.I have an Ultegra 9 spd now and was weighing the pros and cons of triple or compact..any thoughts on what I might need?Thanx...Dodi
OT, but how do you like touring with the trailer? Is it smarter than loaded paniers?

I can't mount a rack to my bike, thinking of other options.

I'd go compact, just cus it's cheaper then switching to a triple. But really triple makes the most sense, given the weight of the trailer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say it depends how strong a cyclist you are. I'm unfamiliar with the terrain in Wa but I toured through Oregon pulling a BOB trailer. I used a triple and had a 24 tooth on the front and a 32 cog as the largest on the rear. I used it plenty and was glad I had the gearing. It's much easier on the knees.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts