Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a road bike with the standard 700C wheels/tires. I think I have 23s on it. I'd like to get into overnight touring. Did this once before and I carried a fully loaded trunk bag (on a rack) that has fold out "panniers". Not the ideal equipment but its what I have. Hard to estimate the weight, but it felt pretty heavy when loaded up.

The last time I did this I got 3 flats on my ride, pretty much one right after another. Didn't find anything inside my wheel that would puncture the tire. I'm assuming the flat tires were due to too much weight on my rear tire. So what I'm wondering is: Can I swap those out for 25s or 28s on the same wheel? Will that make a difference?

Is there anything else I can do in order to carry this much weight on my road bike? I'd prefer to only load the back of the bike and not put anything on the front tire since I don't want to install a front rack.

Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
25 or 28 would def help. There's not mich reason to be running 23s...especially for touring.

I just switched from 23 to 25 and will never be going back to 23, it would be a downgrade for my use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I ride a road bike with the standard 700C wheels/tires. I think I have 23s on it. I'd like to get into overnight touring. Did this once before and I carried a fully loaded trunk bag (on a rack) that has fold out "panniers". Not the ideal equipment but its what I have. Hard to estimate the weight, but it felt pretty heavy when loaded up.

The last time I did this I got 3 flats on my ride, pretty much one right after another. Didn't find anything inside my wheel that would puncture the tire. I'm assuming the flat tires were due to too much weight on my rear tire. So what I'm wondering is: Can I swap those out for 25s or 28s on the same wheel? Will that make a difference?

Is there anything else I can do in order to carry this much weight on my road bike? I'd prefer to only load the back of the bike and not put anything on the front tire since I don't want to install a front rack.

Thanks.
Were they pinch flats ?. That's usually a result of high weight and low air pressure pinching the tube.

Higher pressure in the tubes helps prevent this as well as moving to the largest tire you can get to fit. That's a bit of trial and error, as tires tend to size differently on different sized rims. Then you need to find out what fits under the brakes as well as between the chainstays.

·
Registered
374 Posts
With the adventure camping trend taking off there are a lot of frame and handlebar choices that can help distribute the weight without adding racks. Not my thing so I can't recommend a brand but easy to google. Frame triangle bags come in all sizes, water bottle holders that go over the stem, bags for the handlebar, etc. The key is to balance weight and not kill the bikes handling. There will be tons of forums on this with advice on packing and what to take or not. good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts