Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Trek 5000 Carbon bike.

My LBS's advice is that if I do decide to tour with this, not to put any racks on it. Basically to limit myself to a seat bag, and a big handlebar bag. Also not to tow anything.

I do trust them , but at the same time I'm hanging on to any last shreds of hope that others have done it safley and succesfuly.

Let me know please.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
A few thoughts...

The relatively short chainstay length would make pannier bag mounting difficult if the bike had eyelets, etc., which it does not (I presume); so the LBS advice on this is probably good. However, a perfectly large and acceptable for light touring bag, like a Carridice will serve you well. Several others on this board have used a seat post mounted rack to carry panniers etc. too. Looks strange, but they say it gets the job done.

I'm not familiar with mounts/brackets for bob type trailers. However, if it has attachments to chain/seat stays, you should be able to provide adequate protection to the carbon. The bike is certainly strong enough to pull the load (if it's rider is, that is..)... Personally, I'd plan a different trip rather than pull a heavily laden trailer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike does have eyelets on the rear "thingys" that connect the seat stay and the chain stay.

But yeah, your advice was pretty consistant with theirs. Their other advice was "fedex your stuff to a bed and breakfast" :)

That being said, I've got my eyes pretty solidly fixed on a Jake the Snake all purpose bike.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We love our BOB.

I'll likely never tour with panniers again.

The BOB trailer attaches to a quick release skewer that replaces your stock skewer. Nothing could be easier.

Your plastic bike should be strong enough to pull a BOB but don't forget that even though you are not carrying the weight on your bike you are pulling it so you will still need low gears.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last year I did the Southern Tier (3500+ miles) on a Trek 5200 carbon bike pulling a BOB weighing a total of about 60 pounds. This was done easily.

However, unless you are an animal, there will be times when a triple is nececessary. Also you might consider a 12-27 cassette.

Other things to keep in mind are that the 25mm wide tire maximum will cause you to slip on sand and that caliper brakes will not be sufficient to stop you adequately on steep descents (if the rims are also wet kiss your ass goodbye).

Since my next tour is to Alaska I have addressed these issues by buying a dedicated touring bike, but if I were sure that I was going to ride 100% of the time on pavement, I would have stayed with my road bike. The road bike / BOB combination will make you far faster than anyone else you are riding with and you will soon get used to the very different handling characteristics.

Don't let those eager to offer their nay saying opinions dissuade you from touring with your carbon road bike!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Seatpost rack...

I'm into lightweight touring - 2, 3, or 4 day adventures. bike + seatpost rack + goretex bivy tent + thermarest + down bag = 25 lbs. It feels like I'm pedaling a bike, not a tank. I carry some clothes other stuff in a backpack. In California you don't have to worry about rain in the summer - so no rain gear.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are you using a carbon or aluminum steat post ?

i wish i could convince my wife to sleep in a bivy-bag. however we have a 7lb tent and she has an aluminum frame :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It's Al, but I don't think it matters...

bignose said:
are you using a carbon or aluminum steat post ?

i wish i could convince my wife to sleep in a bivy-bag. however we have a 7lb tent and she has an aluminum frame :)
with so little weight on it. They say the max load is 25 lbs. Oh, well. Have you considered "credit card" touring? That is, staying in motels and eating in restaurants instead of camping?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts