Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new team they've had a nice deal of magazine coverage from their sponsor Bicycling Magazine. They're an American team, and they've won two stages at the ToC. Think their website is getting a lot of hits? Going out on a limb even farther, how many roadies who drive a Rav4 are going to get kitted out in Toyota-United this season?

Exposure-wise, Toyota-United already won the Tour of California.

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
Good for them

AppleCyclingComputer said:
As a new team they've had a nice deal of magazine coverage from their sponsor Bicycling Magazine. They're an American team, and they've won two stages at the ToC. Think their website is getting a lot of hits? Going out on a limb even farther, how many roadies who drive a Rav4 are going to get kitted out in Toyota-United this season?

and great for us American fans. I just hope they can keep Haedo a couple of years so they can get onto the European circuit and maybe the Pro Tour.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts

was reading up on them at velonews and their website, pretty impressive team and the business model def. sounds like something that could work...but they're going to need to gain a lot of attention from America in order for it to work to the extent that the team owner anticipates.

It seems unique to go with their own bikes, but if they're initial offering of the bikes is succesful, they could be looking at a profit generator by selling bikes and flaunting their association with easton (worked for Rocky mountain bikes). I also like that they set up a non-profit within the organization, making corporate/private sponsorships more attractive (tax purposes).

Also: genius to tie up sponsorship with a leading tool of publicity, Bicycling magazine: so it automatically comes in Rodale's (mags owner) best interest to promote this team (they also publish men's health).

pretty cool team.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts

My hats off to Toyota for coming out and starting a brand new team. This a brave move that bucks the trend of US me-too advertising.

BTW, those new Rav4s are really good. 270hp with about 26mpg. Bigger and looks a lot better than old.

My other shout-out goes to Amgen. You guys were just another company. Now, you got my respect (and hopefully other cyclists) for making Tour of Ca happen.

francois

·
Registered
122 Posts
They're an American team,
Good Team BUT They are NOT an "All American" Team. Two stage wins have NOT been by an American but by an Argentinan. That is why the Jerseys are a bit stupid for their Non-American Riders.

Tour of California
Toyota Pro Team - 4 USA, 1NZL, 1 CUB, 1 ARG, 1 MEX

More "All American" Team in Cali...
TIAA-CREF - 7 USA, 1 CAN
Jelly Belly - 6 USA, 2 AUS

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I want to thank Ricky Nelson for having such a significant catalogue of hits that his boxed set is still selling forty years later, and keeping ESPN2 in the black on the ToCA coverage. ;)

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
SlowBikeRacer said:
Good Team BUT They are NOT an "All American" Team. Two stage wins have NOT been by an American but by an Argentinan. That is why the Jerseys are a bit stupid for their Non-American Riders.

Tour of California

TIAA-CREF - 7 USA, 1 CAN
I think he meant american, as in a domestic team. It's nice to see a domestic team doing this well against Protour teams. The OP never said All-American.

Silas

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
SlowBikeRacer said:

Tour of California

TIAA-CREF - 7 USA, 1 CAN
seriously man, this is like the fifth post you've made where you've pointed out that this team isn't "all-american". you take offense to an argentinian wearing a jersey that has red white and blue on it, and seem to be most upset by the fact that "everyone" is referring to the team as an "all american" team (note: you seem to be the only one, everyone else calls it simply an american team or a domestic team). Calm down, take a few deep breaths and realize that a high profile team based out of the United States is good for American cyclists...even if their best rider in the TOC right now is an Argentinian...Cycling, like any other professional sport attracts athletes from around the world, and while the U.S. national team should be comprised of "all-american" cyclists, professional teams, regardless of their names, do not have to have "all-american" rosters.

What about teams like the Yankees, they seem to pride themselves as an American team, yet probably half their roster wasnt born in the U.S.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
SlowBikeRacer said:
They most certainly are an [All] American team. They're registered with UCI as an America Tour Continental Team with USA nationality. You don't get to vote or decide the nationality of teams. UCI has rules for determining that and Toyota-United is a U.S. team just as CSC is Danish regardless of who is riding for them (within the UCI restrictions).

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Dude, turn off Fox news, and pick up an Almanac.

Argentina is part of the Americas, specifically SOUTH America.

By my EDUCATED count, there are 6 AMERICANS on the ToC team.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

SlowBikeRacer said:

Tour of California

TIAA-CREF - 7 USA, 1 CAN

·
Registered
133 Posts
But the kit...

The only downer is that the Toyota-United kit is pretty bad. Looks like something that Performance would sell as an in-house brand.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,010 Posts
No way, dude

fracisco said:
The only downer is that the Toyota-United kit is pretty bad. Looks like something that Performance would sell as an in-house brand.
Actually, I kinda like the jersey. It'll match my red, white and blue Paramount! Hey, if you can't be fast, might as well look fast.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why go ripping on the new team?

I'm with Francois on this one. US-based bike fans are lucky that another team with serious backing has appeared on the scene given the skeletons of Coors Light/Mercury/Saturn etc. scattered all over the landscape. Their bike isn't my style but the fact that they developed it themselves is a great story, imo.

Doesn't matter if everyone is an American. What matters to me is that it's helping American racing simply by being here and being strong.

·
Registered
507 Posts
JaeP said:
Actually, I kinda like the jersey. It'll match my red, white and blue Paramount! Hey, if you can't be fast, might as well look fast.
Looks OK to me, and the names are on the back too, like baseball and football teams.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good for them...

I agree, to see a new team, new sponsors, and a team that wasn't afraid to go out and dictate terms (chasing down breaks, Healthnet did this too) execute their plan; that's pretty darn impressive in my book. I don't care if they have a few S.Americans or even New Zealanders in there, it doesn't hurt American cycling and I haven't heard anyone call out Healthnet or Navigators for it. United can mean a lot of things, not just United States of America.

Watching a new team click like that is rare, and I like it. Just watch the coverage after Haedo's second stage win, that looks like a tight knit squad already. Sprinters like Gord (Canadian, btw) and Haedo make US crit racing fun to watch and will eventually elevate everyone else.

No matter what, domestic racing this year should be exciting, and this team will contribute to it, and just for that free membership thing they have on their site, I got a 10% hotel coupon code, so that's a bonus point or two...

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
SlowBikeRacer said:
Good Team BUT They are NOT an "All American" Team. Two stage wins have NOT been by an American but by an Argentinan.
So where TF do you think Argentina is? Europe?

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
I think Dodge-United has a better ring to it....Oh well, looks like a good team that can work well together given the short amount of time training with each other.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
beantownbiker said:
seriously man, this is like the fifth post you've made where you've pointed out that this team isn't "all-american". you take offense to an argentinian wearing a jersey that has red white and blue on it, and seem to be most upset by the fact that "everyone" is referring to the team as an "all american" team (note: you seem to be the only one, everyone else calls it simply an american team or a domestic team). Calm down, take a few deep breaths and realize that a high profile team based out of the United States is good for American cyclists...even if their best rider in the TOC right now is an Argentinian...Cycling, like any other professional sport attracts athletes from around the world, and while the U.S. national team should be comprised of "all-american" cyclists, professional teams, regardless of their names, do not have to have "all-american" rosters.

What about teams like the Yankees, they seem to pride themselves as an American team, yet probably half their roster wasnt born in the U.S.
He's from the People's Republic of Boulder, they Have American self hate down to a science there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts