Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally joined the modern world with a car that has TPMS sensors. Now I have to get snowtires. A friend of mine just had the dealer install tires on new rims, and twice a year, they charge him $50 to reprogram the TPMS unit. I'm considering "cloneable" TPMS sensors; those that will use the same address as the summer tires. Of course, not all tire places carry them. Any of you guys tried these things out? How do they work?

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I have not, but I can say that the Volvo TPMS is one of the most sensitive and most annoying things I think on the planet.... +/- 1psi and the indicator goes off it seems. But then again, you did not ask for my opinion, I just gave it for free.

There are all sorts of car forums out there for this kind of stuff. Find your car brand and go out to the forums and check it out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just don't bother and run without them. I have a 2nd set of wheels with winter tires that have TPMS installed (but that came from another car). This winter set is not paired to my car and I get the warning light. Clear the screen and ignore it for the rest of the winter. I periodically check the pressure in my tires anyways without relying on the TPMS for many many years prior to owing cars with it.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Are you sure your car will only track 4 sensors? Some cars can pair with 8 sensors. Some are even more flexible. Also depending on the car and what fall back modes it may go into if you run winter wheels without sensors you may really not want to run without them. Many cars stability systems go into degraded mode since they think you have a donut spare on.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Beats the heck of me but I've never seen anybody who owns a Subaru (at least on a forum or two) who is able to pair 8 sensors and got their own reprogramming/pairing devices for swapping. Never thought about the stability system being affected but I can honestly say it hasn't in my case since I've been through 4 winters with 2 different cars without the TPMS sensors and handling was fine. Granted, these are AWD cars so that helps too.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
I drove over a million miles in 42 years without tps, I could do it again...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,921 Posts
I had a car that had an idiot lite that told me when to shift. If I followed directions, my mileage sucked, so I ignored it. I was happy as a clam when the bulb burned out!

·
Registered
55 Posts
What brand of vehicle? I've had a ram truck that recognized any tpms on the correct frequency and now a tundra which has to be flashed. I did learn it's MUCH cheaper to have discount tire rotate your tires and then flash the correct tpms to the truck than to let the dealer do it so that may be am option for you.

·
off the back
15,581 Posts
I finally joined the modern world with a car that has TPMS sensors. Now I have to get snowtires. A friend of mine just had the dealer install tires on new rims, and twice a year, they charge him $50 to reprogram the TPMS unit. I'm considering "cloneable" TPMS sensors; those that will use the same address as the summer tires. Of course, not all tire places carry them. Any of you guys tried these things out? How do they work?
Or, you could just put any snow tires/rims on, and let the TPMS warning light glow. If it bothers you too much, just stick some electrical tape over it. In spring, when you put your summer wheels back on, the TPMS light will go out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Whether you need a second set of TPMS sensors or reprogramming depends on your make/model. For example, the TPMS function in new Audis works off the antilock brakes - there are no sensors in the tires/wheels themselves. I change between winter and summer wheels and tires without any adjustments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts