Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great ride yesterday. I had never done much constant hill climbing and wanted to see how I would do with a trip up to Sunrise starting out at the SR 410/Crystal MT intersection.
I was able to start my ride at 7:30 and was worried about getting cold since I had no arm/leg warmers and it was 48 degrees out.

Started out slowly to warm up and loosen up from the 22 mile/ 3300 ft MTB ride I did on Sat. Hit the turn off to the rangers station & paid my 5 dollars. Then down for a bit and then began the climb. I wanted to keep my pace so as not to explode/bonk before hitting Sunrise and held to my easy pacing goals.
Well, I continued to climb and the morning was absolutely beautiful. I only had 10 cars to deal with for the whole climb up. The views were forever and never got really hot. Before I knew it I was at the Sunrise Lookout point and was amazed at how good I felt and pushed it hard for the rest of the climb.

The riding was great and a big success for me. I know others have done this climb but it was a big step in my cycling career. I learned how to mix up the pedaling without stopping to keep things interesting. I am definitely a clydesdale and was happy to be able to do the climb without stopping and quicker then I expected.

Lounged around at the top for a bit to take in the scenery and fill up the water bottles & eat a bar. Chatted with one of the volunteer rangers there for a bit then decided to head back down.

I kept the speed pretty moderate coming down as there were the random rock or road rut but made it back down the car by 10:30. The amount of cars on the road when I was down with my ride was 100 fold more. There was some old car road rally that also included all their support vehicles so 410 was pack going up the mountain.

I hope you all got out for some ride yesterday in the nice weather but before it got hot.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's a great ride- beautiful sustained climb, and the descent is a blast as well! Did it a couple of times last year training for last year's RAMROD which used that climb as the high point.

There are other fun rides in that area for you to check out as well-- the ride to Paradise is similarily fun. One ride I do every year is to park in the little town of Elbe, ride about 12 miles to the park, and then another 21 miles to Paradise and back. The portion from Longmire to Paradise is about 12 miles if memory serves and it's also beautiful and sustained, and not very steep.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. I was looking at the Paradise climb as well and thought it would be fun someday to do.

Part of my reason for the Sunrise climb was to prep for climbing Haleakala in about 1.5 weeks. Should be great climb!

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
Haleakala should be a lot of fun. I've heard that the tour operators are no longer allowed to bus the novice cycling masses up the mtn, so you should have a lot fewer people to dodge on the road.

Let us know how the ride goes!

·
TWD
603 Posts
good luck on Halelakala, might be a bit tougher than sunrise :)
The ride up to Paradise is great and really not that tough at all but very scenic. I rode Ramrod a week ago and it was a very scenic ride. the road up Cayuse from S to N has alot of gravel sections but the descent down the north side was awesome (68 mph at one point)

enjoy your time on Maui

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Travis said:
good luck on Halelakala, might be a bit tougher than sunrise :)
enjoy your time on Maui
I'm expecting the ride to be a tougher ride. I know what altitude is like as I have been mountain climbing for the last 25 years. My climb up Sunrise was more about me testing my pacing abilities.

The rest of the time will be lounging on the beaches there...:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm back and maui did me in. As the author of Maui Reveled says, I reached such a relaxed state I felt like my bones were removed. The snorkeling, surfing and bar by the pool won me over and I skipped my bike ride up Haleakala. I figured while I was in Maui, I should do things I can only do there. So, I surfed and swam with turtles instead with lots of lounging mixed in between.

Maybe next time I go back...That is if the Lava Flo drinks don't trap me at the pool again.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
LOL!

Great to hear you got good and relaxed there Mike!

The beach and bar are very strong attractors that's for sure. I love that "boneless" feeling as well.

Perhaps we'll have to coordinate on the next trip to Maui as I've been there once now and didn't get to ride up Haleakala either. :(

If we're their at the same time maybe we can institute the buddy system to make sure that volcano gets pedaled. :lol: :D

Sounds like much fun was had.

Cheers!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
goneskiian said:
LOL!

Great to hear you got good and relaxed there Mike!

The beach and bar are very strong attractors that's for sure. I love that "boneless" feeling as well.

Perhaps we'll have to coordinate on the next trip to Maui as I've been there once now and didn't get to ride up Haleakala either. :(

If we're their at the same time maybe we can institute the buddy system to make sure that volcano gets pedaled. :lol: :D

Sounds like much fun was had.

Cheers!
Sounds good...

Are you the same goneskiian as over at legacygt.com? I'm guessing so with such a unique handle. I'm mbcracken over there as well.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
mbcracken said:
Sounds good...

Are you the same goneskiian as over at legacygt.com? I'm guessing so with such a unique handle. I'm mbcracken over there as well.

Cheers,
Mike
Yup. That's me.

I thought the same with your handle. Cool to see another Subaru enthusiast is a cyclist as well. Not that I should be all that surprised! :lol: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.