Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im a fixed gear newbie and im trying to decide between a bianchi pista or a reliegh rush hour, what do you guys recomend?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Hard to go wrong with either.

Dbroncosfan said:
hello, im a fixed gear newbie and im trying to decide between a bianchi pista or a reliegh rush hour, what do you guys recomend?
However if you think you may ever want to run a rear brake don't get the Bianchi.

·
Registered
202 Posts
By and large, both bikes have more similarities than differences. Both are considered "entry level" track bikes, both have made some compromises in componentry to reach their price point, and both will perform admirably and with few problems. See which is more comfortable to you and choose that one. We can split the hairs of the individual components all day long, but I'm of the opinion that none of the subtle differences amount to any appreciable differences in performance or enjoyment. Flip a coin and have fun. But also look at IRO and Milwaukee, just to muddy the waters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i also saw this windsor bike that was around the prices of the pista and rush hour, you guys know anything bout these bikes?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Milwaukees are sold by Ben's Cycle & Fitness: http://www.benscycle.net/store/inde...th=145&zenid=545cab8f0b81555decb99cf90392bd5b

I haven't seen a Windsor firsthand, but I haven't heard anything but derision leveled at them. They're ultra-cheap eBay bikes - and they claim (sort of) that Merckx rode one to his famous hour record in the 1970s. I'm pretty sure I've seen a famous picture of Mr. Colnago hand-delivering the bike to Eddy that he rode. It didn't say "Windsor" on it!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Restickered.

and they claim (sort of) that Merckx rode one to his famous hour record in the 1970s
Just before Eddy Merckx got on his hour record Colnago, someone slapped "Windsor" stickers on the bike. The Mexican bicycle company got a lot of advertising mileage out of that, but I didn't realize the "Windsor-Merckx" deception is still being played out today.

·
Registered
202 Posts
wim said:
Just before Eddy Merckx got on his hour record Colnago, someone slapped "Windsor" stickers on the bike. The Mexican bicycle company got a lot of advertising mileage out of that, but I didn't realize the "Windsor-Merckx" deception is still being played out today.

This is just sad. Here's the text of the eBay Windsor fixie:

"As you may know, this bike is named THE HOUR after Eddie Merckx setting cycling's most impressive record - 49.431 km in one hour - a record that has stood for over 30 years - on guess which brand of bike?"

Now here's a famous photo of Colnago and Eddy, with the caption: "Ernesto Colnago and Eddy Merckx with the "custom-built" model that won the hour record at Mexico City on 25 October 1972."

Gee.. I wonder who really made the "hour" bike? :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts