Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buying a track bike in the next few days. I will be racing this bike at the velodrome so it does need to be track specific. It will be my only track bike.

One problem I have encountered with sizing is that most bike in my budget ($500-$600) come as follows:
57 cm seat tube with a 56cm top tube. Next size up is a 59cm ST with a 57.5 TT.

My road bike has a 58cm ST with a 58cm TT and a 11cm stem.

My question is, are track riders supposed to ride a little more crammed into the bike, or should the set up be the same as on a road bike?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Track bike sizing is typically smaller than road bikes. The old rule of thumb was get one size smaller than you would in a road bike. I think the smaller of the two sizes will work well, especially as you could put on a longer stem without getting too long. FWIW I ride 58.5 tt / 13 stem road, and 57.5/12 on the track, but remeber that the angles are all different, making direct comparison of lengths inaccurate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been told the opposite as 'yeah right'.

my coach told me the "go smaller" thing is a common myth. he said it should be the same setup as your road bike. my track-guru friend also said that this is correct, so this is the way i'm going. now, if you can get the same setup form that size track bike, I don't imagine it will be a problem.

AFF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts