Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I converted my early 90's Serotta Colorado II to a single speed with Formula track hubs and am cruising down the road....and I get a flat. I think no problem, I have a spare tire, tire irons and pump. Wrong! The track hubs are a bolted non-quick release design and I did not have a 15 mm wrench on me.

Question: Do SS and fixie riders all ride with a 15 mm wrench? My 15 mm wrench weighs a 1/4 pound which seems like a pain in the arse. How do people deal with this issue? I guess i could patch it without taking the wheel off, but that sounds even worse.

Yowman

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
A peanut butter wrench weighs very little-- if you go that route.

I use a basic shorty from Tru-Value. I keep in in my work bag or jersey pocket. I doubt it weighs an eight of a pound.

The real answer is yes, I carry a wrench. If you are really strapped for weight and don't mind destroying your nuts, use a 15 mm cone wrench.

Yowman said:
So I converted my early 90's Serotta Colorado II to a single speed with Formula track hubs and am cruising down the road....and I get a flat. I think no problem, I have a spare tire, tire irons and pump. Wrong! The track hubs are a bolted non-quick release design and I did not have a 15 mm wrench on me.

Question: Do SS and fixie riders all ride with a 15 mm wrench? My 15 mm wrench weighs a 1/4 pound which seems like a pain in the arse. How do people deal with this issue? I guess i could patch it without taking the wheel off, but that sounds even worse.

Yowman

·
hello
3,395 Posts
I carry a chopped 15mm wrench. My peanut butter wrench is a tiny bit long to fit in my seat bag.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
even if the wrench weighed a pound.......you GOTTA be able to change a flat.....considering without a wrench, why carry a spare tube, irons or a pump.....look how much extra weight you are carrying now.....

·
hello
3,395 Posts
And of course, there's the 'old fashioned' way of fixing flats.........patching the tube without having to remove the wheel.....:D

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Yowman said:

Yowman
I just carry a Park 15mm wrench.

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,758 Posts
Complete stubby wrench set at the local auto parts store for $10. The missing 15mm is in my fixie seat bag if needed.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
1speedbrian said:
Jethro Tool is a great little wrench, its shape allows amazing touque from its sizeand it fits in the smallest of seat bags with ease.
I swear by Jethro. It's the right tool for the job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.