Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone knows of any high flange track hubs that use allen bolts for wheel axles, like the Paul Comp hubs...or is he the only one cool enough to do so?

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I am not to sure that allen bolts are so cool.
I have had trouble with rear track wheel shifting with allen bolts, and have switched to Track Nuts, or Campy/Shimano steel Q-Releases.

john

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
something to consider...bolt them tighter? i wanted them cuz that way i wouldn't have to carry a 15mm wrench everywhere...it's a commuter/around town fixie...not a track bike; just thought it'd be convenient in the event of a flat.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
well, if you're carrying some kind of multi-tool anyway (still got to be able to work with those allen bolts, right?), a little 15mm stubby wrench is super easy to carry, cheap (maybe $15 at Sears), and will save you the effort and cost of trying to make the switch.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
mylesofsmyles said:
something to consider...bolt them tighter?
There's no way you could consistently get the recommended torque (34 Nm) for rear axle nuts with the Allen bolts on the Comps without eventually (as said) rounding out the hex, stripping some threads or breaking the Allen wrench. It's a cool marketing-driven design, but not good engineering practice. Get the Sears stubby 15 mm box / open combination. It's small, doesn't weigh much and looks nice because of its flawless finish.

/w

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gotta carry my multi-tool...which has the allen key, so I wouldn't need to lug around a 15mm. not going to cost me effort cuz I needz new wheels anyway...just don't wanna shell out for the Paul's...wondering if there's a less expensive option that offers this feature.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
you could get a track hub, replace the axle with a road axle then use a bolt on skewer

not sure why anyone would do this though

·
Registered
214 Posts
mylesofsmyles said:
gotta carry my multi-tool...which has the allen key, so I wouldn't need to lug around a 15mm. not going to cost me effort cuz I needz new wheels anyway...just don't wanna shell out for the Paul's...wondering if there's a less expensive option that offers this feature.
A multi-tool is never going to tighten allen-bolt track nuts on a pair of track hubs to the point where they won't slip. Or it won't get a properly tightened track hub loose.

I have both Phils and various hubs with traditional track nuts. They both work and can be tightened enough. If it came down to it, I'd prefer Phil hubs with traditional 15 mm track nuts.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
alexb618 said:
you could get a track hub, replace the axle with a road axle then use a bolt on skewer

not sure why anyone would do this though
Perhaps because they don't want to "lug around" this 71 gram, 4-1/2 inch long 15 mm wrench. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
wim said:
There's no way you could consistently get the recommended torque (34 Nm) for rear axle nuts with the Allen bolts on the Comps without eventually (as said) rounding out the hex, stripping some threads or breaking the Allen wrench.
Use a chaintug, then you don't need to worry about torquing up the bolts, just nip them tight.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
As DH said above. Phil Wood hubs. I've been using them for 6 years on my fixie...never had one issue with the allen bolts. Or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
wim said:
There's no way you could consistently get the recommended torque (34 Nm) for rear axle nuts with the Allen bolts on the Comps without eventually (as said) rounding out the hex, stripping some threads or breaking the Allen wrench. It's a cool marketing-driven design, but not good engineering practice. Get the Sears stubby 15 mm box / open combination. It's small, doesn't weigh much and looks nice because of its flawless finish.

/w

Deleted by original poster

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Chase15.5 said:
As DH said above. Phil Wood hubs. I've been using them for 6 years on my fixie...never had one issue with the allen bolts. Or anything else for that matter.

me too, 6 years on mine and no trouble of any kind....the part of the hub that contacts the hub is serrated hard stainless steel and grips well and the allen bolts are hard SS too, between these things have never had a problem getting the bolts tight enough so the wheel doesn't slip and the bolts are still in great shape

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
mylesofsmyles said:
yeah, can't imagine there would be...what is it, a 6 or 8mm?
the allen bolts on PW hubs take a 6mm wrench and actually I could imagine them rounding out if they were made of softer steel and/or the hub did not grip as well and needed way more tension than bolts that size are meant to give....but the design and materials are good so no problems

1 - 20 of 22 Posts