Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will watch cycling on occasion, but I don't follow it. I am good at calling a race and discussion what is going on, tactically. But I don't pay attention to much else in the pro levels. Not rules, transfers, doping, nothing. So for those of you who do...

I did enjoy the Omnium in the Olympics. Seems like a cool thing to me.

But I figured there is a lot of debate about what events should be in it, and how it could be scored. Anyone want to defend the current system as best, or propose a better system for finding the best "all around" cyclist?

FYI and reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnium#Current_omnium

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I think the Omnium is a good combo of events. 2 solo events ( TT and the Flying Lap)
a 1 on 1 event (Pursuit), Scratch Race, Points Race and Elimination (aka Miss-n-Out)
The points race and Elimination provide great tactical battles. So you have pure speed events, solo events and some events that take endurance and guile. I think it is a pretty good combo. As a guy who races track and the father of a Junior who does I enjoy the omnium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.