Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Tomasso bike arrived. It came with pedals that have cages and shaped similar to Look, etc.

But they seem to use some type of triangle cleat that slides into the pedal.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I've never seen a pedal like that. What make is it? It doesn't look like it's designed to work with any sort of a cleat, but rather for ordinary shoes (sneakers, etc.)

They look kind of cool, though.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
those pedals don't use cleats... those are touring-type pedals for use with your touring shoes, bata bikers, or flats

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, here is a picture of the actual pedal

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FatTireFred said:
those pedals don't use cleats... those are touring-type pedals for use with your touring shoes, bata bikers, or flats
Nevermind. Those are slighty different than mine. Wrong picture.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Nevermind. Those are slighty different than mine. Wrong picture.

forget the tabs towards the toe, the only cleat those pedals in the new pic would use is an old-skool, slotted, no-float cleat... few people use those anymore, most shoes prob don't even have the 2-bolt mount required to use 'em

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FatTireFred said:
forget the tabs towards the toe, the only cleat those pedals in the new pic would use is an old-skool, slotted, no-float cleat... few people use those anymore, most shoes prob don't even have the 2-bolt mount required to use 'em
Thanks, I will just ditch them

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Those are completely different from the first ones you pictured. Those use old-style "cleats" (from before the days of clipless pedals) which just have a slot that fits over the rear cage plate. When you pull the straps tight they're very secure, but you have to reach down and loosen the strap to get out (that's why clipless was such a great advance).

I don't know if anybody still makes that type of cleat, or if it works on current shoes -- maybe some some track-specific stuff. In the really old days you nailed the cleat to the wooden shoe sole.

FTF: Bata Bikers? LOL . I think I still have a pair sitting in the back of my closet.

DB: You needn't ditch them, depending on your use. If you remove the tab thing at the front (and re-attach the clips), they'd make perfectly good pedals for street shoes or sneakers, if that's what you need.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
JCavilia said:
FTF: Bata Bikers? LOL . I think I still have a pair sitting in the back of my closet.

pretty sure I do too... along with some hairnets, a couple pairs of dettos (with both look and traditional cleat mounts) and a box of slotted cleats, plastic yellow ones that came with old sidis

·
Registered
276 Posts
FatTireFred said:
You obiously dont hang aroung the drome. They are still very popular at the track.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
PltJett said:
You obiously dont hang aroung the drome. They are still very popular at the track.

I know those are common with real trackies, but real trackies make up a very small proportion of bike riders... you would agree to that, wouldn't you? so it looks like the "few" comment is still accurate.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI makes modern slotted cleats that are drilled for modern road shoes (Look-format drillings). They're on the homepage of that shop's site.

So, what is that triangular bit at the toe end for? It sure looks like it takes some sort of special cleat!

·
Registered
666 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
The Tomasso bike arrived. It came with pedals that have cages and shaped similar to Look, etc.

But they seem to use some type of triangle cleat that slides into the pedal.

Any ideas?
Those pedals look like knockoffs of the old Dura Ace PD-7400 and Ultegra PD-6400 pedals. Both are very popular with track racers. John Dacey at Business Cycles in Miami has the cleats (PD-64) listed in his website. Here's a link to the pic with the cleats.

http://www.businesscycles.com/tped-shim.htm

His shop is just off of the Palmetto where it meets with US-1 near Kendall.Great gut to deal with.

If those cleats fit, be very careful when you use them. Once you tighten that toe strap, your feet aren't going anywhere. I fell a couple of times when I had those pedals in 1988 just because I couldn't get the shoes out in time. The multiple attachment points of that cleat make it great for the track, but not so good for the street.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.