Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping for a new single speed, which I posted about already. I appreciate all of the great advice I got.

Are most single speeds based on track bikes? I ask because I've been running into an issue in test riding bikes where the pedals extend past the front tire. This isn't much of a problem most of the time, but there were a couple instances where the tire hit my foot when turning. Is this dangerous? I ride in Chicago and sometimes have to maneuver around cars, buses and humans. I don't want to get myself in a bad situation because the bike gets caught on my foot in traffic and I fall off.

Do road bikes have longer frames? If so, are there many single speeds that are based off of road bikes or would I have to do a conversion?

Also, I test road an '08 Scwhinn Madison today that is going for just under $500. I liked it and it is being held for me while I decide if I want it. I just realized that it doesn't come with rack mounts. Is there any way to mount a rack without these? This could be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
emb said:
I've been shopping for a new single speed, which I posted about already. I appreciate all of the great advice I got.

Are most single speeds based on track bikes? I ask because I've been running into an issue in test riding bikes where the pedals extend past the front tire. This isn't much of a problem most of the time, but there were a couple instances where the tire hit my foot when turning. Is this dangerous? I ride in Chicago and sometimes have to maneuver around cars, buses and humans. I don't want to get myself in a bad situation because the bike gets caught on my foot in traffic and I fall off.

Do road bikes have longer frames? If so, are there many single speeds that are based off of road bikes or would I have to do a conversion?

Also, I test road an '08 Scwhinn Madison today that is going for just under $500. I liked it and it is being held for me while I decide if I want it. I just realized that it doesn't come with rack mounts. Is there any way to mount a rack without these? This could be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks.
The Madison is a Track bike. Yes, there are SS? FG frames with more road like geo. I had aa Dawes from BD that was road geom and was a nice ride.

Look at a Surly Steamroller, Redline Rush Hour, Torelli Tipo Uno or the Salsa Casseroll.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think what you are referring to is toe overlap. It's not an issue while riding at speed. It can make things a little hairy while maneuvering very very slowly or getting into a track standing.

You will get used to it though and it's just second nature to avoid it, so imo it's not worth ruling a bike out because it has a little over lap. /my 2 cents.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Both answers above are correct. There are many SS/FG bikes with a more stretched out road geometry that are less likely to have toe overlap problems, but toe overlap is something you get used to so I wouldn't let it be a huge factor in choosing a bike. I commute daily on a bike with some toe overlap, and it has never caused any real problems for me.

Also regarding mounting racks on bikes without rack mounts, not a problem. With enough P-clamps and zip ties you can rule the world. See this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Regarding no rack mounts. If you don't want to ride with a rack, you could also use a brooks saddle with saddle bag loops and ride with something like a Carradice Barley saddle bag.

I just converted over to a saddlebag after 9 years of commuting with a rack and rack truck. I love it. I also just got a SS for commuting, and I hated how the SS looked with the rack, especially on weekend rides when the rack was empty.

FYI - I did go the P-Clamp route at first to mount the rack and it worked fine once I got it setup, but it was a bit of a pain the first try, but it worked perfectly fine for the 6 weeks I rode it like that.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
lonesomesteve said:
Both answers above are correct. There are many SS/FG bikes with a more stretched out road geometry that are less likely to have toe overlap problems, but toe overlap is something you get used to so I wouldn't let it be a huge factor in choosing a bike. I commute daily on a bike with some toe overlap, and it has never caused any real problems for me.

Also regarding mounting racks on bikes without rack mounts, not a problem. With enough P-clamps and zip ties you can rule the world. See this.

+1...just about every bike I own has toe overlap... not a big deal at all

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Isn't toe overlap more common on smaller frames? I know all but one of mine has some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally took the plunge and I actually ended up with a Jamis Beatnik. Rode it to work and an appointment today - probably about 13 miles total. Loved pretty much every minute of it. The bike really just felt the best of all of them to me -- a fun ride. I'm not crazy about the look of the bullhorn handle bars, but they feel more comfortable to me and I think that's probably because of how I'm used to a mountain bike w/ a straight bar. I know I could swap a drop bar for a straight or move the brakes on a drop bar to make it more vertical, but this one just seemed right. Plus it had a different geometry than many of the single speeds I rode so there's not much toe overlap at all, at least that I've experienced.

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
let me warn you, with the bull-horns....be CAREFUL going for the drops!!!!!

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
emb said:
Are most single speeds based on track bikes? I ask because I've been running into an issue in test riding bikes where the pedals extend past the front tire.
I prefer a track geometry for city riding because I've never had a problem with toe overlap, but if I'm cornering fast I really want pedal clearance that a high track BB gives me.

This may be just my neurosis, but on my geared bike, I've had some close calls and one moderately serious crash in crits from pedal strike when pedaling through corners at speed and I don't want to repeat the experience on my morning commute when the thing sitting on my wheel is a 6 ton bus instead of a couple of 150 pound cyclists.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.