Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I have been building up a Bianchi frame into a Single Speeder using the freehub wheelset it came with, but also considered picking up a track rear wheel as an alternative. In looking at the track wheelsets that are fairly inexpensive from the usual online sources, most appear to be quite heavy 32 spoke models. I am sure there is a reason for track wheels to be hefty, and since they don't have to do much climbing, weight is of lesser concern. But on a SS bike to be used on the road, I would like the whole bike's weight to be low, especially for my Eastern PA hills!

Other than a custom setup, are there any reasonably priced lightweight options?

Thanks for the replies.

TC

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
TC Johnson said:
...are there any reasonably priced lightweight options?
Not really, for the reason you stated... track wheels are built for sprinting.

I don't know the weight but both Cane Creek (the Chronos?) and Mavic (the Ellipse?) make pre-built wheelsets that may or may not be lighter than handbuilts.

Best bet (if not doing much rain riding) would be a set of Dura Ace track hubs laced to your light weight rim of choice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is 1 1/2 pounds too much?

Just for the info, I checked out the weights of a Weinmann wheelset at Wheel & Sprocket's eBay store, and the set weighs in at 2500 grams. The Neuvation R28 wheels I just put on my Merckx were under 1700 grams. Giving the Weinmanns the benefit of the doubt puts the track set at over 1 1/2 pounds heavier.

Yes, I know the bike will be lighter with no gears and shifters, but lighter wheels should also makes a SS bike useable on the hills. It won't be a 7-pound Crumpton like the one in RoadBike Action, but I don't want a 30 pound tourer either.

My budget doesn't allow for a hand-build set, and I am not equipped to build them myself at this point. The other issue is spacing. The Bianchi is an older 7-speed model.

thanks for the suggestions.

TC

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I think you're too worried about weight. As stated previously, a SS bike is already going to be plenty light and almost certainly well under 20 pounds. A little extra weight for a more durable wheelset is a good trade off.

Think about it, it's a SS, you're not racing it, you're riding it, and in the hills, you'll be in the "wrong" gear most of the time anyway. At most, you'd lose how many seconds over the course of a very long hill with an extra pounds (400+ grams).

For the record, I have a steel Bianchi with a 36 spoke Miche track wheelset and have no complaints regarding weight on the very hilly terrain here in Colorado.

Maybe it's be a better idea to just have a cheaper track wheel for now and wait and build up a pimped out set later on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.