Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I got my trainer last week... used it twice already but I'm very dissapointed that I can't see speed and milaege since my computer is hooked up to the front wheel. Do I need to buy a new computer? How do you guys handle this?

-I

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
IvanTheTerrible said:
Hey guys,
So I got my trainer last week... used it twice already but I'm very dissapointed that I can't see speed and milaege since my computer is hooked up to the front wheel. Do I need to buy a new computer? How do you guys handle this?

-I
First of all the speed and mileage doesn't mean anything since the resistance isn't the same as the road.

If you still want it, get a rear wheel computer like the Cateye Astral. You can install it on the bike in place of your current one or just use it on the trainer.

A better measure would be time and training with a heart rate monitor.

TF

·
Special guest
Ultegra R8000
574 Posts
You can't count your trainer time as road miles, hehehe. When you attach your beloved road bike to a trainer, it becomes a stationary bike that looks and fits just like your road bike. So measure your fitness activity the way you would on a stationary bike with a HRM.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Over the winter months (which are over here, by the way), I use only one tool to track my fitness: my bathroom scale. If I don't work out enough the weight really creeps up on me and I start the year 10-15 pounds heavy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting... so what do you guys do, put in an hour or 2 , do intervals, stuff like that? I started riding last summer and I measured my progress by measuring time vs distance. I did x miles in X time... next ride I have to beat that. You're saying I shouldn't train like this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spinervals

I like to use the Spinervals DVDs. Good structured workouts that work on specific aspects of training (Red Zone, Blue Zone, sprints, etc). Most of the workouts are very specific 40-50 minute workouts, but I also have the Time Saver DVD with 30 minute workouts that I use before work, and 80 and 90 minute workouts that I save for weekends when I'm forced to train indoors.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Flaming OTB said:
I like to use the Spinervals DVDs. Good structured workouts that work on specific aspects of training (Red Zone, Blue Zone, sprints, etc). Most of the workouts are very specific 40-50 minute workouts, but I also have the Time Saver DVD with 30 minute workouts that I use before work, and 80 and 90 minute workouts that I save for weekends when I'm forced to train indoors.
I've done the "Recovery" Spinergy and that should be a crime. Recovery, my a$$. - TF

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
The trainer is an excellent tool

I think people get too hooked up on the fact that trainer miles aren't the same as road miles.

But if you want to measure your progress the trainer is great. If you can do "X" amount of trainer miles in "X" minutes and then go better next time, next month or next year then the rear wheel sensor wil show your improvement.

Training with only a HRM and looking at the wall will remind you how much fun riding outside is...I think the people that hate using the trainer hate it because they aren't using it effectively.

·
Special guest
Ultegra R8000
574 Posts
hayaku said:
Training with only a HRM and looking at the wall will remind you how much fun riding outside is...I think the people that hate using the trainer hate it because they aren't using it effectively.
Who said anything about hating it or staring at walls? If some guy tells me he's got 500 miles logged already this year, and 300 of them are on a trainer, I'd say he still has a long way to go to make that 1st 500 miles. Unless he rides in the Holodeck of the Starship Enterprise. The trainer is a good fitness tool, just don't confuse it with real riding miles is all I'm saying. You can quantify your fitness on the trainer any way you feel like, but buying a new cyclocomputer, instead of getting a decent HRM, isn't the best decision IMHO.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I agree that trainer miles do NOT equal road miles. They're just different. Trainer= no wind, variable tire resistance, no coasting, etc...... At a moderate resistance I find trainer miles harder than road miles...and I don't mean just the boredom factor. (Maybe I use too much resistance).
Personally- I like my Astrale 8 and my HRM. I try to vary workouts to avoid boredom. Fast low resistance intervals one day, higher resistance "power" intervals a couple days per week, etc. I even make up "trainer TT's"- like set the tire resistance and ride an indicated 10 miles. I figure as long as I keep the resistance the same I can measure relative (not absolute) improvement.

Luckily there have been mild days here in the Midwest which let me get out on the road. Even able to do a "solo half century" a couple days ago.

Come on Spring!!!!!!

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Oldteen said:
I agree that trainer miles do NOT equal road miles. They're just different. Trainer= no wind, variable tire resistance, no coasting, etc...... At a moderate resistance I find trainer miles harder than road miles...and I don't mean just the boredom factor. (Maybe I use too much resistance).
Personally- I like my Astrale 8 and my HRM. I try to vary workouts to avoid boredom. Fast low resistance intervals one day, higher resistance "power" intervals a couple days per week, etc. I even make up "trainer TT's"- like set the tire resistance and ride an indicated 10 miles. I figure as long as I keep the resistance the same I can measure relative (not absolute) improvement.

Luckily there have been mild days here in the Midwest which let me get out on the road. Even able to do a "solo half century" a couple days ago.

Come on Spring!!!!!!
"I figure as long as I keep the resistance the same I can measure relative (not absolute) improvement." How do you keep the resistance the same? - TF

·
Registered
493 Posts
I use a Polar speed sensor mounted to the seatstay.

I too, also feel my trainer miles are harder than my road miles. I struggle to ride 18 trianer miles in 1 hr. I certainly don't have that problem on the road. (cycleops fluid2)

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Ha. I've got everyone beat. I ride rollers with no resistance units and can ride 2 hours at 50km/h no problems. I now have 3,000 km of base. Sprints at 70km/h I can hold for 30 seconds.

What I'm trying to say is train by time and effort. Mileage and speed is meaningles both on and off the road. Move to power, you won't even need a speedometer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts