Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think part of the fun of cycling is keeping very accurate records of each ride and then collating that data into a month by month and year by year chart. It’s helpful to go back and see how you were doing at any given time.

I use an Excel spreadsheet and make use of four tabs for various breakdowns of the data. Tab one lists every ride. Here is a snapshot of Tab 2 with the collated analysis. This contains the data since I got back into road cycling in 2011 but my data goes back to 2000 when I started.

It will be interesting to see how age affects things. I’m lighter than I was when I first started so my times are actually better but I know it won’t last forever.

I’m interested in what percentage of cyclists keep track like this and how you all do it.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,640 Posts
Using Garmin and SportTracks, I have ride data dating back a ways with gps and all. Don't have HAC4 data anymore from the days before Edge gps units came along, only the total odometer reading.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I also use excel for my log. My data goes back to 1993, and I've logged 3214 rides to date. It's useful to tracking mileage on each of several bikes I own (or have owned) and in keeping track of maintenance I've done, so for example I can look back and see when I last replaced a chain or a tire. In addition to creating tables (similar to yours) summarizing the data by month and year, I also create several charts to help visualize the data. For example, here's a chart comparing year-to-date miles with prior years. Also a chart showing the distribution of ride lengths.

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
Combo here....Garmin to record and logging via SportTracks and Biker's Log Gold.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think when I started tracking my training rides I used . . . a pen and paper (was gonna say an abacus, but that might give away my age). Up to my third training journal now, use MapMyRide to make tracking easier - helps to keep me motivated.

·
Registered
717 Posts
For me each ride is downloaded into Garmin connect, Strava and map my ride. I like to compare the three for ride data. Also have an Excel spreadsheet that keeps track of averages and miles for regular maintenance. Overkill I no. Guess my ADD is showing again :)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I thought about a computer based method like excel. I've thought more so about a smart phone app of some sort. I am computer/techie guy.

But for the last three years I've been using just a paper based log (that even sort of surprises me). I created a form... miles/distance, average speed, hours/minutes ridden, and date. I make a notation about the route I took. In winter months I sometime include temperature.

I have thought of countless bits and pieces of data I'd like to record/keep. But keeping my data to a one line sign-in log type of form.... may be the only way I keep my cycling hobby into also becoming a data collection hobby.

·
Registered
496 Posts
GarminConnect,

MapMyRide (backup plan for when my very old Garmin Edge 500 doesn't want to work*)

Blog for anecdotal thangs.

* for some reason using the dedicated charger causes it to discharge, whereas a USB port generally charges it successfully, although it does tend to wig out from time to time.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It seems many (most?) cyclists keep records, with some being very detailed, of their rides.

Eventually I'll have to get up-to-date with the tech. I don't own a smartphone nor a Garmin. So far a basic cycle computer with distance, average speed and top speed have been sufficient combined with determining elevation through ridewithgps.com. There are more steps involved to get all the information to Excel but it's really not that much extra.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
At least you're saving the data. I'd love to have some of my old ride data to look at from the 80's and 90's... when I thought I was fast :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least you're saving the data. I'd love to have some of my old ride data to look at from the 80's and 90's... when I thought I was fast :)
It is really cool to look back 10 or more years at a glance and see how I was riding then. Haha, it's true that what we consider to be fast changes. My times are considerably better now in my early 40s than when I was in my late 20s and early 30s. Eventually I know it will swing the other way but I'm enjoying it for now!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've kept logs forever mainly only tracking mileage. The problem is that I don't know where they are. I am just a fitness rider. Mileage can translate roughly into amount of time riding. Setting a mileage goal for the year also helps with motivation.

I started a new log on the day I retired. It has total mileage since retirement, miles for the year, month, day and bike for the year. I started tracking mileage for the bikes in 2000. I kept moving it forward, so for any bike purchased after 2000, I know how many miles I have on that bike. I also note any repair or maintenance in red ink.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Strava on my Android phone. Kinda fun to look at the records. This is my first year doing it, though. We'll see if I keep it up all year.

Anyone else have the 'if it didn't record, it didn't happen' issues come up? I accidentally deleted a ride file (nothing special, just an AM commute of 11 miles) and I was ticked!

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
It is really cool to look back 10 or more years at a glance and see how I was riding then. Haha, it's true that what we consider to be fast changes. My times are considerably better now in my early 40s than when I was in my late 20s and early 30s. Eventually I know it will swing the other way but I'm enjoying it for now!
I only started riding in 2006 on a MTB. Am in early 40s now. I use excel and have mileage split between off-road and road. Only owned a road bike for 1 year, so the miles have been coming in thick and fast recently. Have noticed that I am getting quicker.

But I am also wondering when will I start to slow down. Real pity that I only got into this sport at such a late age. I could cycle from young but just never got into it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.