Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My server (I own a small company of only 22 employees) and main computer got infected with spyware yesterday and is causing havoc with daily tasks until the computer guys get it all sorted out. It seems that this was due to a visit to an infected website...Using this site is about the limit of my computer abilities so I rely somewhat heavily upon the advice of those that I pay - which is a terrible mistake....but, any software that will let me track what websites are being visited? If so, anything that would be anonymous and that I could use preferably from my office and see where everyone else has been? I don't give a damn about employees spending a few minutes online to make the day go by, but I cannot stand going somewhere that is costing $$$ to remedy and slowing down work that should be getting done - and of course no one wants to admit to causing this....

Zach

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Your router should have tracking software. If you run your own DNS server you could probably hook into that somehow, or it might have its own logging/tracking.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Qstick333 said:
My server ...
....but, any software that will let me track what websites are being visited?
Your server probably can generate a report on traffic whenever you want. Have it set it up to generate the report once a day and send it to you.

You want better advice? What server and server software are you running?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Qstick333 said:
My server (I own a small company of only 22 employees).......

Zach
#1) I'm impressed.
#1a) Very impressed.

#2) Get a MAC.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dr hoo said:
Your server probably can generate a report on traffic whenever you want. Have it set it up to generate the report once a day and send it to you.

You want better advice? What server and server software are you running?
I would love to tell you that information, but quite frankly, I haven't a clue. As much as I try to always make educated decisions regarding purchases, I am lost in the computer world. I'm just happy to be able to post here......

I just left a voicemail for the computer guru to update me about the router/server history and if that is not a viable option, I will get the information about specific equipment and post it here.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Qstick333 said:
I would love to tell you that information, but quite frankly, I haven't a clue.
Go look at the box, or at the order that was used to buy the box. That will give you a brand and model number. Chances are the config is box stock.

The thing is, if you have an IT person, you should let them deal with it. Even if you know all the websites visited, are you going to be the one to find out which ones are infecting people? Do you even have a clue how to narrow things down on that front?

Turn it over to the IT person, and let them do the job you pay them for. And let them give you a weekly report on possible problematic behaviors. Then you go from that point. That will save you the most possible time and let you focus on what you need to do to make money.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MB1 said:
#1) I'm impressed.
#1a) Very impressed.

#2) Get a MAC.

I would LOVE to be mac based but just cannot justify revamping the entire system. It just isn't cost effective at this point (especially with the current economy) to spend the money and retrain employees that might not be familiar with the new equipment.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Qstick333 said:
My server (I own a small company of only 22 employees) and main computer got infected with spyware yesterday and is causing havoc with daily tasks until the computer guys get it all sorted out. It seems that this was due to a visit to an infected website...Using this site is about the limit of my computer abilities so I rely somewhat heavily upon the advice of those that I pay - which is a terrible mistake....but, any software that will let me track what websites are being visited? If so, anything that would be anonymous and that I could use preferably from my office and see where everyone else has been? I don't give a damn about employees spending a few minutes online to make the day go by, but I cannot stand going somewhere that is costing $$$ to remedy and slowing down work that should be getting done - and of course no one wants to admit to causing this....

Zach
It was Flatbar. He's a jerk like that.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Qstick333 said:

Zach
you router should have a log feature that will log sites visited by IP address.

For instance, ours is a Lynksys. I just go to the setup page (192.168.1.1 in Firefox), type in my password, go to the log page, and turn it on. I can then go to the same page to view the log. It tells me the origin and destination of all internet traffic.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
hosts file...

talk to the IT guy about your "hosts" file.
this is a low-tech way to block a lot of stuff without slowing down your computer.

totally free.

it blocks a jillion bad websites - the ones your employees are using (on company time) to look at online gambling, download screensavers, bittorrent bootlegs, creditreportsecretsdotcom, download born, etc.

look at mvps.org and see if you feel confident to do this yourself.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
so far, the teenager in the home has not figured out how to get past this block.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts