Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question.
I got a new bike last week. After riding about 50 miles last week mostly in small rides and 1 longer rides, i plan on doing a 30 miler tmrw, 15 wed. Anyways my question. I don't really like the saddle my bike came with. would it be fair/appropriate to go back to the shop i got it and ask them to trade in and have me pay the difference? Or is something else standard/accepted? Any advice greatly aprecaited.
- josh

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
Every shop has a different policy on sadle exchanges. Some will trade even-up. Some will charge you full retail. Most are somewhere in between.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Alternatives

CC09 said:
I don't really like the saddle my bike came with. would it be fair/appropriate to go back to the shop i got it and ask them to trade in and have me pay the difference? Or is something else standard/accepted?
The Grump gave you the right answer regarding a swap - you'll have to talk to the shop to find out their policy. That said, I would suggest that you really don't know whether this saddle will work for you, or whether a replacement will improve the situation. A saddle that feels good in the shop or for the first few minutes of a ride often is the wrong answer, as it will be too soft when used for long distances. A saddle that is too soft allows pressure on your soft tissues - your weight should be borne almost entirely by the sit bones, and you need to learn to perch on the saddle such that this happens. Also, there is a period of time required for your rear end to toughen up - 2-5 weeks depending on your amount of riding and general adaptation abilities. The quality and fit of your bike shorts can have a significant effect on saddle comfort. Finally, a lot of saddle comfort is about proper adjustment - slight changes in saddle tilt, fore/aft position, and saddle height can have a big influence on comfort.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kerry,

My rear end is tough, 8 weeks of training on other bikes and whatnot.
Pearl Izuma shorts - excelllent fit, good quality (nothing tooo fancy)
Louis Garneau Bib shorts (team shorts) - excellent fit, excellent quality.
I wear them about 50-50

Would it be unreasonable to surpass 100 miles on this saddle (thursday or so) and if i am still having problems go in and talk to them, perhaps try out some adjustments, and then talk about a trade in?
As for adjustment, height is pretty dead on, ive been tweaking it before and after every ride and have reallly found an optimal spot in terms of leg stress/effecieny/overall fit. Its set pretty neutral in terms of tilt and fore/aft.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have found a minisule amount of change in the tilt can make a ton of difference. But it sounds like you know what you are doing, I would work with the bike shop on this. It is in their best intrest to keep you happy.

A happy customer tells 3-5 people about their experiance, and unhapppy one 7-10 they want you happy, if they dont, find a bike shop that does.

Our shop trades saddles full price if you dont like the one you bought.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats the thing, the saddle came with the bike.....and its not the greatest of saddles (bontrager select).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Often bike shops dont like to give you what would be full retail for those because they often have some factory marking on them that is specific to your bike. I would talk to them sooner rather than later, the fewer miles you have on it, the less they have to discount it if they do end up re selling it.

The place I work keeps those saddles for people who cant afford new saddles, or want to try out something different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts