Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a BB Curve for the past year. A co-worker really wants a Curve, but doesn't want to deal with the contract extension.

He has offered to buy me a new iphone 3G (with 2 year contract) in trade for my Curve.

The Curve has been good to me, but web browsing is slow and difficult on the small screen. Also my MP3 player capability is a little lacking. I only have a 1 gig Nano and really want some more room.

I am considering the deal for enhanced web surfing and ipod use.

I will miss the BB communicator. My wife and I text each other constantly, but we could move that action to email.

what do you guys think, move to the iphone or stay with the bb.

btw I am a mac user.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I find the iPhone 'conversational' text really good actually because you can follow a conversation without returning to previous messages.

Really cool.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
uzziefly said:
I find the iPhone 'conversational' text really good actually because you can follow a conversation without returning to previous messages.

Really cool.
+11y
Makes texting that much easier to follow.
Get the iPhone and don't look back

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Additionally, you can get a mobile IM app that you could use to chat with your wife or whomever on your contact list for that matter, while on the go as well.

I love that, Facebook (the chat) and Twitter on my commute home from school. Makes it that much more pleasant.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Yes, if you not miss a real keyboard.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Yes, if you not miss a real keyboard.
Typing from your iPhone I suppose? :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
uzziefly said:
Additionally, you can get a mobile IM app that you could use to chat with your wife or whomever on your contact list for that matter, while on the go as well.
All of the new BB phones already have an IM app that does most of the major IM providers. You can also run it in the background, switch apps, read email, browse, etc while staying logged in.

Until the iphone gets cut and paste and multitasking, its a severe compromise for a pretty face.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
uzziefly said:
Typing from your iPhone I suppose? :D
You know what I mean. A physical keyboard over a virtual! :rolleyes: :p

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I've been slowly moving from BB to 3G over the last 3 months. There really is no comparson - the 3G blows the BB out of the water for everything except enterprise email. And I'm guessing that as soon as my company puts the finishing touches on that, the 3G will reign supreme in my book.

It's a bit of a boat anchor compared to the Pearl I used to have, but perhaps that's a small price to pay for all the other wonderful things it does.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
yakky said:
All of the new BB phones already have an IM app that does most of the major IM providers. You can also run it in the background, switch apps, read email, browse, etc while staying logged in.

Until the iphone gets cut and paste and multitasking, its a severe compromise for a pretty face.
Do any phones offer that now? I don't know. I have learned to live without cut and paste, but would be nice on occasion to have. Multitasking would be murder on the already overtaxed battery.

What I really would like is separating the iPhone from iTunes, and have a computer side application that lets you set up the screens, app order, etc. Or at least the ability to do so in iTunes.

To the OP, Get the 3g, love mine, or wait a few months and get the next gen one, what ever new hardware that will bring to the table (would be cool to see video camera, flash for camera, video conferencing w/ camera behind screen all are inherently doable...)

Another great thing about the iPhone is some new features are deliverable through software updates. So even folks with 1G iPhones get the benefits, provided the hardware can do it.

One final thing to mention, no matter how cool the iPhone is...and it is seriously cool...if ATT 3G reception sucks in your neck of the woods, you will never be happy with it. So that may be something to ask other users in your area.

zac

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
I had the 2G (traded my Curve for it) Thought it was a great device.
Now I'm back to the 8900 Curve. Like it too. May get the new iPhone
down the road. I get bored easily.

·
720 Posts
Another thing with the Iphone is they are adding features and functionality via firmware updates. Since I ve not had a BB I m not aware of if they do that or not. Cut/Paste is something that will be added in the future, native landscape keyboard for SMS (txt messages) and email will be included. Adobe and Apple are currently working together to create a version of Flash for the Iphone as well. Plus you figure in all the 3rd party apps being developed on a daily basis and its hard to see how the Iphone wont totally take over the market in another 1-2 yrs. BB does some great things but it does only a handfull. The Iphone is, an ipod, a cell phone, a PDA, a media viewing device, can take the place of a laptop to some degree, can function as a TomTom (GPS Navigation) and more. Can any BB do all of that? Even if you dont need all those options, its simply amazing to have the freedom to get an app at a moments notice and BAM problem solved.

IMO BB has jumped the shark, its had a great run and I think you ll see it stand firm in the hardcore business sector, but everyone else is gonna have their iphones.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
How does the iPhone do texts? My G1 does them as a thread where each conversation with someone goes in order from top to bottom and you can just scroll up and down to follow the conversation. Is the iPhone the same?

joe

·
720 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
How does the iPhone do texts? My G1 does them as a thread where each conversation with someone goes in order from top to bottom and you can just scroll up and down to follow the conversation. Is the iPhone the same?

joe

Yup does it the same, you have the option to "clear" the conversation if you d like as well. I ve still not figured out how long you can save the txts for I mean I have txts from my fiance from 4 weeks ago still and its as yet prompted me to delete my in box. I know your rocking a G1 and within this discussion I would consider the G1 in the iphone catergory. While your phone is more open ended for 3rd party app development, the Blackberries dont have anything similar and that is where I think they fail.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
deastin said:
Yup does it the same, you have the option to "clear" the conversation if you d like as well. I ve still not figured out how long you can save the txts for I mean I have txts from my fiance from 4 weeks ago still and its as yet prompted me to delete my in box. I know your rocking a G1 and within this discussion I would consider the G1 in the iphone catergory. While your phone is more open ended for 3rd party app development, the Blackberries dont have anything similar and that is where I think they fail.

I had a thread with the girl I'm seeing that was like 200 texts long. One in my phone right now is at nearly 90 responses. Holds quite a bit, and it doens't automatically delete them.

joe

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
deastin said:

I agree that there aren't as many frivolous apps for the BB, but there are TONS of apps out there from 3rd party developers.

·
720 Posts
I agree with you there Ken there are A LOT of really dumb or just plain WTF apps out there for the iphone. However, I think that is just a matter of time before you see everyone walking around doing whatever on their iphones. 3 years ago not everyone needed to have email and interwebs in their pocket. Now with all the social networks (facebook, twitter et all) people want/NEED their internet right now dang it! Sure the Blackberry is "The Man" and the iphone is more "those damn kids w/ their rock and roll" but I think in the next year or so the iphone boom really takes off.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts