Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so i come to teh lownge for advice.

situation: my wife created documents for the swim team she works for. that job is now in jeapordy- how can she mark the documents so that they cant be used by others?

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Put in a watermark and password protect the editability of the document.

Or, save them all off to a flash drive and delete them from the network storage. If she gets canned, she can take them with her and not leave them behind.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
2cflyr said:

situation: my wife created documents for the swim team she works for. that job is now in jeapordy- how can she mark the documents so that they cant be used by others?
Encrypting/password protecting them would be the best shot if possible.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Since were talking legal type stuff, what ever happened with your murder investigation?
Have you been indicted yet?Do they have good internets in prison?

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
q_and_a said:
Put in a watermark and password protect the editability of the document.

Or, save them all off to a flash drive and delete them from the network storage. If she gets canned, she can take them with her and not leave them behind.
watermark and password protect are what we're thinking.

none of these docs are in digital form on the team's website- our computer at home is the only place that these docs exist digitally.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HIMEHEEM said:
Since were talking legal type stuff, what ever happened with your murder investigation?
Have you been indicted yet?Do they have good internets in prison?

wow. good memory.

it came down to LAPD wanting DNA from my wife, my MIL and the potentially-murdered dude's sister. sister and MIL didnt want to do it, so the wife backed out as well.

so, what happened? nothing. at all.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
2cflyr said:
watermark and password protect are what we're thinking.

none of these docs are in digital form on the team's website- our computer at home is the only place that these docs exist digitally.
If they only exist digitally in your house-why are you worried about someone else accessing/using that copy?

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marc said:
If they only exist digitally in your house-why are you worried about someone else accessing/using that copy?
the boss might ask for them digitally upon quitting/firing, and i don't think "no" is going to fly considering the slime that he is.

///she's also concerned about physical docs that might need to be handed over.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
2cflyr said:

I assume that there is no employment contract, etc. with her that spells out the ownership of the documents. If she is being paid or compensated by the swim team, and these documents were created in the course of her work, then they are most likely a "work for hire" and belong to the team. They own the copyright. It might be less clear if she was a volunteer and the team did not compensate her for her work.

If the team has a name or logo that is on the documents, that is potentially a "trademark" of the team and may also be their property, even if she created it.

I might add that destroying or password protecting the documents owned by the team would not be a good move, regardless of whether the team is full of a-holes.

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,731 Posts
2cflyr said:
the boss might ask for them digitally upon quitting/firing, and i don't think "no" is going to fly considering the slime that he is.

///she's also concerned about physical docs that might need to be handed over.
"I gave those to you weeks ago. I figured you had them so I deleted them from my computer. Sorry"

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
2cflyr said:
wow. good memory.

it came down to LAPD wanting DNA from my wife, my MIL and the potentially-murdered dude's sister. sister and MIL didnt want to do it, so the wife backed out as well.

so, what happened? nothing. at all.
*Sigh*

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andy69 said:
"I gave those to you weeks ago. I figured you had them so I deleted them from my computer. Sorry"
this may work. the swim team is wickedly disorganized- they hired another person to be the swim team manager....just to add another person into the mix. it's a bit like city governement in how bass ackwards it is.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
2cflyr said:
this may work. the swim team is wickedly disorganized- they hired another person to be the swim team manager....just to add another person into the mix. it's a bit like city governement in how bass ackwards it is.
And that, in my opinion, is some remarkably bad advice.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it either, what use are the documents to you or your wife afterwards anyway? If they paid her to create them, they're not hers. If she wasn't paid to create them, sell them the documents (if they're amenable to that) upon termination.

What're you going to do with swim team logos anyway, start your own competing swim team and strive for world domination?

Plum

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
yeah but it was Andy's idea so HE is liable now!

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plum said:
Yeah, I don't get it either, what use are the documents to you or your wife afterwards anyway? If they paid her to create them, they're not hers. If she wasn't paid to create them, sell them the documents (if they're amenable to that) upon termination.

What're you going to do with swim team logos anyway, start your own competing swim team and strive for world domination?

Plum

one idea is that she would start her own team. aside from the logos, some of the docs she's created would need to go with her.

she created them for her own use and was not paid for said creation of resources.

due to the mismanagement of the team, she'd likely have over half of the kids eventually follow her to a new pool.

basically, if it comes down to her leaving or getting fired, she doesnt want them to have any of the resurces that she's created.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
2cflyr said:
one idea is that she would start her own team. aside from the logos, some of the docs she's created would need to go with her.

she created them for her own use and was not paid for said creation of resources.

due to the mismanagement of the team, she'd likely have over half of the kids eventually follow her to a new pool.

basically, if it comes down to her leaving or getting fired, she doesnt want them to have any of the resurces that she's created.
It ain't that simple. If she was an employee of the team, then the team has a good argument that just about everything that she created or worked on while she was an employee that relates to the team belongs to the team. Even if it was "for her own use" and even if she wasn't "specifically paid" to create it. Work papers, computer models, spread sheets, contact lists, etc. can fall into this category. And these rules still apply even the team is disorganized or run by jerks.

While you haven't directly said what "resources" that your wife is concerned about, I would be especially careful in taking/destroying any documents that relate to "customer"/swimmer lists, business opportunties for the team, or vendor information. This includes anything could be used to solicit swimmers from the old club to join a new team that she might create. Harming your ex-employer on the way out the door by spiking their ability carry on, or taking property/information that you can use to set up a competing business is the surest way to get sued.

No specific advice is being offered here, other than to be careful and to err on the side of being a good ex-employee.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts