Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone tell me what the traditional bend handlebars that tend to be popular in europe are. i'm sure i knew at somepoint but i've forgotton. they're the ones that seem to have a pretty shallow drop. thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
bloodthirstylust said:
could someone tell me what the traditional bend handlebars that tend to be popular in europe are. i'm sure i knew at somepoint but i've forgotton. they're the ones that seem to have a pretty shallow drop. thanks!
i'm not sure about their popularity in europe but this is one well known shallow drop, traditional bend handlebar:

http://www.cbike.com/Deda_Elementi.htm

search for "Shallow". there is the newton and the 215. i don't think the 215 comes in an oversize model. i ride the newton on my cross bike and absolutely love it. bars are a personal preference but this is mine :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ritchey & Easton, too

The Dedas mentioned above are nice (215 shallow in 26.0 or Newton shallow in 31.8).
Also consider:
Ritchey WCS Classic and Carbon classic
Easton EC90 Equipe Pro (also has a very short reach, in addition to shallow drop).

You can see some of the euro pros using shallow-drop ITMs, but I've never seen'em for sale.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Also Oval Concepts and FSA (oversized only, RD 200t model). The Easton Equipe pro bar is only available in carbon fiber, the Easton ea70 (aluminum) traditional bar is a very deep drop and nothing like the sweet Equipe pro. The EC90 Equipe pro bar is really wonderful, it has a very short reach to the hoods and a bit of shape for the tops. I'm rocking this bar on my road bike and I really love it. There are some cool Cinelli and 3ttt bars that are sometimes kicking around in shops and on ebay, if you know where to look there are some nice older bars that will work nicely and are often on sale.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Love my Ritcheys

I've been using the Ritchey WCS Classics for about a year now. I believe much of Gerolstiener rode this bar last year. Of course bars are a bit of a personal choice, but I love the traditional bend. I find being able to rest on the flat portion of the bar is less fatiguing then riding at the bend and you I can get more power at that position when needed and this bar does not flex under power.

·
Registered
165 Posts
800lbgorilla said:
The Dedas mentioned above are nice (215 shallow in 26.0 or Newton shallow in 31.8).
Also consider:
Ritchey WCS Classic and Carbon classic
Easton EC90 Equipe Pro (also has a very short reach, in addition to shallow drop).

You can see some of the euro pros using shallow-drop ITMs, but I've never seen'em for sale.
I have the shallow "italian classic" newton on my cross bike and the ritchey classic on my raod bike. The ritchey has a bigger drop to be sure. If you're looking for a shallow drop, traditional bend I've found the Deda shallow to be, well, shallow. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ritchey - but on my road bike I'm more willing to get more bent over in the drops.

Can't comment on other traditional bend bars as these are the only two I've tried.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
jnichols959 said:
I have the shallow "italian classic" newton on my cross bike and the ritchey classic on my raod bike. The ritchey has a bigger drop to be sure. If you're looking for a shallow drop, traditional bend I've found the Deda shallow to be, well, shallow. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ritchey - but on my road bike I'm more willing to get more bent over in the drops.

Can't comment on other traditional bend bars as these are the only two I've tried.
Ritchey and Deda both make 2 "non-ergo" round bend models, a deep drop and shallow drop and the measurements of these are very similar between the 2 brands. I think you have the Deda shallows on your cross, and Ritchey deeps on your road.

G

·
I believe deda does make non-ergo with a supersize clamp, I know I have seen their deep drop bar in that size.

I used to have 215's that were ergo and while I like the deda's otherwise I hated the ergo part and have switched my bike back to classic ones, I personally find them much more comfortable in the drops. Maybe its my short fingers, but I also think the curve is better on me hands than the flat section was...

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've converted all of my bikes to the Oval Concepts traditional bend bars. They make two bends. One is very shallow with 135 mm drop and the other has a 144 drop. I use the deeper drop (but, believe me they are not that deep) because I prefer the transition to the hoods on the top. The Oval stem is a work of art and substantially siffer than the Ritchey. Richard Sachs stocks them and can be contacted at [email protected]

BTW. round bars look so much better than their ugly anotomic cousins. Just my take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts