Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Find the nearest beer garden and wait out the traffic

Votes: 7 58.3%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the scenario. It's rush hour on the interstate. Stop-and-go would be a rosy way of putting things. It's more like a parking lot.

Here's the moral dilemma: you could:

1) get off the next exit, drive down the exit ramp, go thru the intersection, and then up the on-ramp on the other side of the intersection and merge back onto the freeway, bypassing about a half mile of the traffic (I would guess that most would consider this "cutting")

2) Or you could get off the next exit and not immediately get back on the freeway but take a back road/surface street to bypass a mile or two of the traffic, then merge back onto the freeway -- and cut 15 minutes off your total drive time (would you consider this cutting?)

3) Or you could get off the exit, take a back road to another interstate which parallels the one you were just on that gets you to the same ultimate destination. The parallel interstate is known to have less traffic (surely THIS couldn't be considered cutting, right? ...even though it's essentially just a longer version of the previous option(s)).

All the options are essentially "alternate routes" which bypass some segment of the traffic jam. So which do you consider "cutting" and which are "okay" to do, in your opinion? And why?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
whichever option results in your shortest time to destination is the best, for both yourself and for society as a whole.

we can demonstrate this with real numbers.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Creakyknees said:
p.p.p.p.s. does your state allow "lane splitting" by motorcyclists?

Good question. I think so, motorcycles cut all the time on metered on-ramps that are backed up. It used to annoy the hell out of me, until I realized that it's nuthin' compared to how motorcycles and scooters do it in Europe. Now i'm fine with it.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I can't relate. I have a total commute time of 5 minutes by car and 10 minutes by bike. Where I live people get upset, consider it a terrible traffic jam and complain to their councilman and public works if they have to wait through a complete cycle at a stoplight. My solution to your dilemma is to move. Just don't move here.

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
Rule #1 - Don't disrespect yourself.
Rule #2 - Don't steal.

I say you are in compliance with any method mentioned. Carry on.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
I can't relate. I have a total commute time of 5 minutes by car and 10 minutes by bike.
My commute is 20 minutes by car, or 12 by bike, both times are from when I walk out my back door until I am in my office.

I can ride right to my office, but if I drive, I have to go through two additional traffic lights, park, and then walk 10 minutes to my office.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Any of them are acceptable. I've learned to use my GPS's detour feature. The two times I've used it we've saved a lot of time.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
The walk from the parking lot to my office takes like 2 minutes, seriously. And we still have people complain that there's not enough parking close enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.