Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a trailer for around town chores (food shopping) and maybe for use with lugging tools for trailwork and --hopefully--bikepacking. The BOB Ibex is the main contender since I like the narrow profile and it has suspension in case I take it on the trail.

But it's not cheap. There's a wealth of instructions on the net on how to build your own trailer. Instructables.com has a bunch of instructions but many require some metal working skills that I don't have.

Who here has constructed their own trailer? How long did it take and what level of skill and special tools were needed? I'm trying to determine if it's something I should undertake or just concede that my time is worth money and buy the darn thing.

Also: anyone have issues with the BOB connection damaging the bike? I'll be connecting to a better-quality touring frame and would hate to damage it. It would seem that the the trailer contributes extra stress to the rear triangle, but I've never heard of a bike being damaged as a result.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I`ve never built a trailer (though I love DIY projects) but a good place to check is the Utility Cyling forum on Bikeforums. They have some folks there who`ve done it and, I think, even some stickies about the job.

A few comments about comercial trailers: I`ve had a BOB Yak for a very short time. Can`t say about the long term, but it certainly seems sturdy and I think you`d have to try awful hard to damage a heavy duty touring bike with one. I`ve had my Yak on some dirt (nothing gnarly) and it didn`t seem to need the suspension- however, there`s one guy on CGOAB and BF who`s doing a world tour with the Ibex and talks very glowingly about his suspension model. Maybe the suspension is best for you, but consider the cheaper option too. Last thing is that Nashbar has a similar critter for about $100. So far I haven`t seen any bad words about it. Again, BF has a few posts about it on the Touring forum. From the picture, it looks like it has a shorter pivot tube than the BOB versions.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I think it depends on how handy you are and how much you enjoy "projects".

FWIW we love our BOB and are thinking about getting a second one so we can double up our shopping. We ride Rivendells and Waterfords and have had no problems with the hitch. The Nashbar trailers are a lot lighter in construction so you likely couldn't overload them the way we do our BOBs.

IMO BBO=Money well spent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.