Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Blah, Blah, Blah
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there got a good recommendation for a trailer? I commute to work daily, but have started to consider adding in other tasks like grocery shopping and such. However if I want to fit groceries into the equation, I figure I need a trailer to haul it all back home.
So, what can you guys recommend that is quality and at a good price?
I've been looking around, and most of the trailers out there seem specifically designed to haul a child. The BOB trailers seem to fit my need, but the price is pretty high. It's not out of the question, just wondering what the other alternatives might be.
I was just scanning the Trek website looking at their stuff. Plus all the regular players in the game.
Anyone got some good hands on experience that they can offer some advice as to which way to go?

Thanks,
-Pete

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I am a big fan of BOBs unless you intend to carry kids.

A 2 wheel trailer has more (or perhaps just different) issues than a 1 wheeler IMHO; I have done both.

However you should note that anytime you add chunks of weight to your bike it really changes the experience and requires a new skill set. Parking is the first thing that everyone notices but all that weight does change things going up and down hills and riding in traffic.

Go for it.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I have a BOB for just what you want a trailer for. I love it. Just make sure you attach it to the bike, then load it. In that order.

I got mine on line for $314, delivered. It paid for itself in less than a year.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I have a generic Schwinn that I picked up used for next to nothing. Use it to haul my daughter. Also have an old cannondale trailer (looks like a yellow plastic tub) that I converted to a utility trailer to haul stuff. While they are both ok, I would love to have a BOB. I've messed around with them and they blow the wider, two wheeled versions away. I want to get one this year. I am planning on doing some touring in late spring and the BOB would be perfect for that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bob's the deal

Ebay is a good place to find them at below normal retail for sure. I've used both, and for cargo I prefer the bob. Doesn't seem to effect handling as much, you can clean anything that you can do with your bike with the trailer just tracking along behind you. The two wheelers I've found just to mount as cleanly or track as well. I've used both behind a mountain bike for years and definitely prefer the bob.. One thing I'd like to see them produce though is a mini kickstand sort of arrangement to keep the thing steady during loading and unloading.

If you go with a two wheel chainstay mounted trailer (burly etc..) make sure you pad the stays and dropouts well. My kids two wheel trailer scarred the crap out of my frame when I first got it and rode thinking the rubber pads on the mounts would be enough to protect the bike.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Loved my B.o.B. Yak...I've been kicking myself ever since I sold it. There was a bit of a learning curve to negotiate when I started riding with it, but I appreciated how the thing tracked well even when loaded down, and it really was great when on the road to be able to unhitch it on a "layover" day so I could ride the bike unencumbered. Well-made, functional, sensible design...I don't have any experience with other makes to compare with, but I definitely did not have regrets about owning one.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
onrhodes said:
Anyone out there got a good recommendation for a trailer?
I've been running a BOB Coz for a few years. Basically, it's a big Rubbermaid box screwed onto a steel frame. Cheaper than a YAK, and heavier, but it works really well.

They might have stopped making these, but you might want to look for a used one.

- FBB

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Another vote for the BOB, I got one at the big P last year for under $200!!!! It was on sale plus I had a coupon..WOOHOO! I took it on a long camping trip last year behind my single speed and loved it! When loaded properly it tracks like a dream (even overloaded actually...lol). Be careful loading and ditto on the wish for a kickstand of some sort. I was thinking of trying to make my own version, we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another possibility is the xtracycle. It is pretty verstalie, but the down side is it is pretty much an permanent conversion, which means a dedicated bike.

I haven't used one but am thinking about converting an old Releigh 3-speed.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I've never seen one in use.....

commutenow said:
Has anyone had both and can compare? I have a BOB Yak that I plan to sell if the Evolution would be better for grocerys and about town for loads.
....but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion. :cool:

http://www.bikerev.com/pg3.cfm

$199 is less than a BOB but it looks inexpensive to me with 2 plastic wheels, not much of a frame and a plastic box. 2 wheels means that it is going to steer instead of track, plastic wheels have had issues in bicycle applications and can never be repaired-just replaced.

I'll stick with my BOB thanks.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I've heard great things from friends with an extracycle but you need to dedicate a frame to it... thats the only downside. I use a Burley Nomad. Its huge, i can fit a lot in it and got is at a nice used price. I live without a car so having large compasity is really nice. I've know a few people find Burley's that have been pretty beaten up but the structural frame stays solid and hack them up into a cargo trailer. You can often find these neglected trailers for less then 100$.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.