Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to the trailer question . . . How do trailers like the BOB affect the frame . . . seems like a lost of twisting forces on the frame, compared ot the burley nomad.

Just an addition thought.

·
Urbane
359 Posts
I have put lots of miles on the B.O.B. on several types of frames (tandem aluminum, lightweight road steel, crossbike steel, and mountain steel as well as aluminum) and have had no negative effect. And, on the other hand, I can say the same thing about the burley that the kid rides in as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yetisurly said:
I have put lots of miles on the B.O.B. on several types of frames (tandem aluminum, lightweight road steel, crossbike steel, and mountain steel as well as aluminum) and have had no negative effect. And, on the other hand, I can say the same thing about the burley that the kid rides in as well.

Thanks. . . . so they are both quality . . . why does everyone prefer the BOB?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
It's well-made, sturdy, it has a dedicated waterproof bag, it tracks well, has a low center of gravity and is simple to mount to or remove from the bike. As for effects on the bike frame--what effects? Support at the forward end is courtesy of the axle on the rear wheel; the pivoting at the axle gives vertical compliance, and the pivot behind the rear wheel takes care of the lateral moves. There's virtually no force being applied to the actual bike frame at all.

The one thing I would change on the B.o.B. is adding a drag brake for the trailer wheel. There've been a few times on steep downhills when I had to brake hard on curves and nearly jackknifed because there was nothing to check the momentum of the trailer as the bike was slowing.

·
pi makes wheels go round
293 Posts
Krafcik said:
Thanks. . . . so they are both quality . . . why does everyone prefer the BOB?
Because they track so well, don't mess with the handling too much, and are proven, i think. However, i have to disagree a little with the bob not hurting the frame thing - i used a quality steel hardtail for a 3 month tour on a lot of "unimproved" roads through alaska and canada, and i found myself realigning the dropouts a couple times during the trip. It wasn't anything really bad, but the trailer was doing something. Admittedly, the WTB Phoenix had crap ritchey dropouts that seemed to have been made of butter.

-Damon

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I really like my BOB. It tracks well, it follows well, and doesn't affect handling more than I can handle. I do know its there though. I have the unsuspended version. I have an aluminum frame bike, and I haven't had any problems with wheels or the frame, and I am a clyde to boot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.