Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I just went through a ton of online research on this issue, after rebuilding an AC wheel that was laced with pull spokes heads in. (I kept the lacing.)

Summary: There are theoretical arguments for lacing pull spokes heads out, but many wheels have been built with pull spokes heads in, and in practice, it doesn't make a meaningful difference.

I would go default pull spokes heads out, but only for theoretical reasons and knowing that it may not make a practical difference.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice photo, Mike T.

I've never thrown a derailleur into the spokes in the last 10 years, much less on the road bike, but of course I know it can and does happen (especially in a crash).

In the case of the pictured wheel, though, isn't the end result the same? I assume that you replaced the chewed up spokes instead of leaving them as is. Do you feel that the spokes would have failed during the remainder of the race in which this happened, had they been pull spokes?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.