Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of starting a wild fire I want to ask a follow up question to the original post. There were a couple of differing views to having an aggressive training plan. This question is directed toward those who saw the approach as being one that would pay off in gains on the bike but warned that it should not be so rigid that it caused over training but that it should be flexible enough to allow me to listen to my body and make adjustments accordingly. This approach makes since and is something that I have been doing by monitoring my morning at rest heart rate. If this rate is elevated on workout days I throw in an extra recovery day and put off the effort day and then adjust the schedule accordingly. The core of this question now becomes a matter of the approach to the Lactate Threshold intervals. One response gave an example of the LT intervals used in workouts. They were 2x20+ min intervals. Right now I am doing 10 sets of 6 min. efforts at LT to LT plus five beats per min with 60 sec recovery between efforts. What LT intervals do others use and why? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each of these and any other approach?

·
Registered
19 Posts
wheelmac said:
At the risk of starting a wild fire I want to ask a follow up question to the original post. There were a couple of differing views to having an aggressive training plan. This question is directed toward those who saw the approach as being one that would pay off in gains on the bike but warned that it should not be so rigid that it caused over training but that it should be flexible enough to allow me to listen to my body and make adjustments accordingly. This approach makes since and is something that I have been doing by monitoring my morning at rest heart rate. If this rate is elevated on workout days I throw in an extra recovery day and put off the effort day and then adjust the schedule accordingly. The core of this question now becomes a matter of the approach to the Lactate Threshold intervals. One response gave an example of the LT intervals used in workouts. They were 2x20+ min intervals. Right now I am doing 10 sets of 6 min. efforts at LT to LT plus five beats per min with 60 sec recovery between efforts. What LT intervals do others use and why? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each of these and any other approach?
I replied to your other thread yesterday so you might want to take a peek at that. But in a nutshell if your target race is in April then you should be in your build period right now. For me, build period is all about increasing sustainable power incrementaly in a 6-8 week time
frame. To accomplish this I do long intervals at LT and I also do a lot of low cadence muscle tension work. My LT intervals over the 6 weeks would be ascending starting with 2x20's all the way up to 2x26's by the end of the 6 week block. I would then begin to shorten my intervals and up the intensity to just over LT and shorten the recovery time accordingly. About 4 weeks out from my target race I'm doing sets of 2, 1.5, 1 and .5 minute intervals well above LT with equal amount of rest in between. I'll 3-4 sets of these each session. What I will also tell you is that I keep all of my interval workouts to only once per week. The rest of my week is comprised of 2 recovery days (20-25 miles), 1 low cadence muscle tension day (40-50 miles), 1 long fast group ride (95-105 miles) and 1 moderate effort day or TT ride to keep my base sharp (60 miles). That's pretty much it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
wheelmac said:
My opinion is that 2x20's are a good starting point. I think that threshold intervals should be done at or slightly below threshold. By lowering the intensity just a few % one can perform much more volume. From 2x20's you can move to 3 or even 4. I also think that 15 minutes is the minimum for a threshold interval unless you use very short recovery between each. BTW, they're not really lactate threshold intervals. Most labs define lactate threshold as a very low intensity, one that can be sustained for ~3 hrs. Closer would be OBLA (onset of blood lactate) or MLSS (maximal lactate steady state) or more simply, functional threshold (1-hr max sustainable power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts