Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my wife mentioned she would like to get an exercise bike, and I mentioned to her that perhaps instead she should opt for a trainer. That way she uses her own bike that she is comfortable with. I've never used one of these things before as living in AZ affords me the opportunity to ride almost anytime I want without having to bring the bike inside.

I think I have convinced her regarding the trainer, but I have no idea which one to chose. There are so many models and types out there. From what I have seen, they are broken down into two categories; fluid and magnetic. I don't want to skimp and buy something on the cheap that might not last, but then again with money a bit tight I thought off buying a decent used unit.

Could any of you please give me some insight as to what would work best.

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Trainer for your wife?

A trainer for your wife? Resisting the urge to reply,'Sounds like a fair trade to me' :D

Skip over the magnetic ones and go right to the fluid models. The magnetic resistance unit on my Blackburn is loud... so loud no one can be in the same basement room with me. I have to crank the television so high you can hear it up in my 3rd floor bedrooms.

I think the Kinetic models are pretty highly rated... check the review section on trainers.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hard to resist "Hans works for $45.00 per hour."

Make sure she can easily get the bike in and out. Also heard good things about Kinetic, but I run in the winter.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i like my cyclops. i have a fluid one and my wife has an older magnetic one. both create about the same amount of noise. my fluid trainer has a little more resistance, but i'm using it in my cold basement and it seems to take about 5 mins of easy spinning before the resistance picks up more.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol

redcon1 said:
A trainer for your wife? Resisting the urge to reply,'Sounds like a fair trade to me' :D

When you write things down, you miss what one can interpret as something else. She will probably get a kick out of that when she gets home later. Or perhaps I might get the kick depending on what kind of day she had. :)

I have not heard of Kinetic like yourself and others have suggested. I will check them out. I have heard of Cyclops though. How do they rate against Kinetic?

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
I like my cyclops mag, but if anything but a thin road tire is used, its pretty loud. not bad with my 23 road tire, but with anything at all knobby, you'll be maxing out the tv volume.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinetic user reviews

Did a search on the Kinetic models and came up with this. I'm sure I can find it cheaper than what REI are selling it for, but I was more interested in what some of the users felt about it. According to these reviews, this one seems like a good buy. What do you guys think?

Being a new model, It might be a wait before finding one used.

http://www.rei.com/product/769753

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious about how much you want to spend.

Originally I didn't want to spend more than about $200 for one, but it looks like I will need to cough up another $100 if I go with the Kinetic Road Machine. Doing further research on the Kinetic, it comes with a life time guarantee. Hard to beat that.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Time2ride said:

Originally I didn't want to spend more than about $200 for one, but it looks like I will need to cough up another $100 if I go with the Kinetic Road Machine. Doing further research on the Kinetic, it comes with a life time guarantee. Hard to beat that.
The Kurt is a very good unit. When my old Cyclops finally dies I am going to get one.

And the classic response is "Not sure if fair trade, post picture of wife. . ."

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too funny

"Not sure if fair trade, post picture of wife. . ."

I really need to check my wording next time :lol:

·
Registered
296 Posts
We bought a second trainer for the same reason. I had a particular need for a trainer that would accommodate a 20" wheel on my wife's recumbent. That led us to the 1Up trainer. It costs $299, but they have a no questions asked 60 day return policy. Since I didn't know if she would like riding it, that guarantee made it worth it to me. The ease of changing bikes is second to none and it is quiet as can be. Nashbar has a bottom of the line magnetic for under $100.

Check them out
They also carry Kurt Kinetic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fluid2 and Kurt Kinetic thoughts

I own a CycleOps Fluid2 and a Kurt Kinetic. I actually have the Rock and Roll Pro, but I believe that the resistance unit is basically the same on it as on the Road Machine.

In my experience, the Fluid2 is slightly quieter but also offers less resistance than (and doesn't feel as realistic as) the Kurt Kinetic. I find the locking mechanism that secures the bike to the trainer to be quicker to operate on the Kurt Kinetic, but the mechanism that secures the roller to the rear wheel is quicker and less cumbersome to deal with on the Fluid2, so it's pretty much a draw in terms of ease of setup. I like that the Kurt Kinetic has a sealed fluid chamber that, by design, really shouldn't be prone to leaking. My Fluid2 began leaking less than a year after use, but I took it back to the LBS I bought it from and it was replaced under warranty at no cost to me and with virtually no hassle in about a week.

I'd recommend the Kurt Kinetic over the Fluid2, but I think they're both nice units. Someone earlier also mentioned a 1UP and I've heard good things about those too.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I have a Kurt Kenetic that I bought from a vendor that advertises here (or used to). You will have to call them for a quote, but they had the best price I could find. Check out www.BicycleDoctorUSA.com. Ask them for the best price they can give to a RBR member.

I have put 3 winters on my Kurt Kinetic and love it. Absolutely no regrets about purchasing it.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Time2ride said:

Will she use it enough to justify the cost? A buddy of mine has a Kinetic, and it's better than my old, @$110 Performance magnetic unit--but it isn't three times better, and I dislike the trainer so much anyway that I'm apt to do almost anything else instead. It lives in a spare room with a beater permanently mounted, so it's no trouble just to hop on, but I still don't use it much.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thought of that

Will she use it enough to justify the cost?

That did cross my mind. My wife is the type of person that when she sets her mind to do something she usually sees it through. Besides, I mind just use it myself from time to time, especially on those days when I can only get an afternoon ride in. The afternoon hours in the summer here can be quite brutal. I do go out anyway despite the heat, but it might be a nice break now and then to get in some saddle time in a nice air conditioned room.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts