Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at the performance bike site for a mat for the trainer, what are you guys using did you go out and buy one specifically for this use? Or did you find something used in another field that served the same purpose and at a cheaper price.

The mat sold by performance is $29

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Carpet remnant

foofighter said:
i was looking at the performance bike site for a mat for the trainer, what are you guys using did you go out and buy one specifically for this use? Or did you find something used in another field that served the same purpose and at a cheaper price.

Your local carpet store will likely sell you a remnant for $10, or you might have something lying around from the last time you replaced carpet in your house.

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
Interlocking foam squares from Target. :)

$15? Quiets my bike enough that the couple that live below me don't complain.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have one of the performance mats and I have ripped it several times while rolling my StarTrac Spin Cycle on and off the mat or repositioning it on the mat. So if you are going to moving any relatively heavy stuff on one of these mats you may want to look for something a little more heavy duty.

foofighter said:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the all the ideas...i like the interlocking tile idea especially if they're $15...sure beats $30 for the performance one with their propensity to get torn up

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just throw a towel down that fits within the frame of my rollers. But then it's on hardwood floor not carpet. If it was a thicker carpet I would probably cut a piece of 3/4' plywood. What's the purpose of the mat? Catch sweat, soundproof, stabalize equipment? Determine that and buy accordingly at a hardware store.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Costco has the interlocking ones too if you have one near you. I got them for when I had a home gym in my room, held up to weights and the treadmill fine. and cheap enough to replace. I think a package would be enough for 3 sets of mats if just using for the bike and trainer.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use an old laminated desktop under my rollers and trainer. The particle board type. Settles things down on the carpet and easy to wipe the pool of sweat up after a ride.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Second the interlocking foam squares from Target. Also come in handy as an oversize knee pad if I have to spend any time on my knees scrubbing the floor or working on something low to the ground...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts