Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have a set of Tacx Galaxia rollers, and will likely switch to a wheel off trainer at some point. I want to put a mat down under my rollers, and I'm trying to decide between a few. Help wanted.

My concerns are that I want a rather dense mat, not a foam sleeping pad type mat. Something that won't fall apart or damage from the rollers being on it etc. I.e. not a yoga mat. I'm looking to stop the rollers moving sideways on the concrete floor, something co catch the sweat, something to absorb noise etc.

I think I really want a Wahoo/Tacx without the branding on it and for half the price:)

Help.

1) Wahoo $65

Office supplies Metalworking hand tool Tool Stationery Hand tool

2) Tacx $65

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

3) Other trainer brand?

Black Rectangle Grey Metal Composite material

4) Generic fitness mat?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you are near a Rural King or a Tractor Supply, go get a horse stall mat. 4x6 at over 1/2" thick for about $40. Will outlast your great-grandkids. I have a series of these in my workout area for covering the entire floor. Disadvantage? they each weigh 100 lbs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are near a Rural King or a Tractor Supply, go get a horse stall mat. 4x6 at over 1/2" thick for about $40. Will outlast your great-grandkids. I have a series of these in my workout area for covering the entire floor. Disadvantage? they each weigh 100 lbs.
Thanks, this sounds interesting, as next to my trainer area, I have maybe four or five feet more of space for stretching. I have some yoga mats down there, but they're not tick enough on the concrete floor.

I may do a combination then, one horse mat and one trainer mat ... Will see what they have first.

Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
I broke-down and bought the Kickr mat. The problem I was having was that my trainer is in the basement on a smooth, concrete floor. Whenever I'd sprint, my whole bike would skip forward as I thrashed violently because the Kickr couldn't grip the floor.

I just got the mat today and did multiple sprints and nothing moved (Yeah!) While I think the price is crazy, I think it's a good mat. The top surface is a relatively hard plastic which should be water and dirt resistant.

I can't say it made anything quieter like the Wahoo site claims, but that's not why I bought it. Overall, I'm happy with everything but the price. Note that unless Wahoo puts the mat on sale, you won't be able to get it on sale. I noticed that Wahoo products are on the "exclusion list" for sales like at PerformanceBike.com. Also note that if you buy the mat by itself through Wahoo, you'll pay $10 shipping even if the site claims free shipping... there's an exclusion specifically for the mat for some odd reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.