Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, I've read thru a lot of posts; but I'm too lazy to keep looking. I usually have more miles on the road in by now; but that's not been real easy due to some extenuating circumstances. I have been getting some late night trainer hours in.

I assume these 1 hour sessions can be included with base mileage? (No intervals, simply riding a decent gear at about 88 RPM's)

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
SlowMo said:
Sorry, I've read thru a lot of posts; but I'm too leazy to keep looking. I usually have more miles on the road in by now; but that's not been real easy due to some extenuating circumstances. I have been getting some late night trainer hours in.

I assume these 1 hour sessions can be included with base mileage? (No intervals, simply riding a decent gear at about 88 RPM's)

Thanks.
Sure they are...maybe not as much as regular miles, but pedaling is pedaling regardless of where or how you are doing it. The biggest difference is the total amount of time and the intensity you put in while on the trainer compared to the road.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
It helps keep the muscle limber and your cardio up. Anything is better than nothing. 1 hour on rollers/trainer still won't compare against the 5 hour rides on the road unfortunately. Don't we all wish!

·
Registered
117 Posts
But is 1 hour on the trainer = to 1 road hour? Or is it better than a road hour because there is no coasting or stop signs?

·
Registered
58 Posts
One hour on the trainer is not necessarily equal to one hour on the road for a variety of reasons. In one sense, one can argue that an hour on the trainer is more efficient than the road because the pace is generally constant (no coasting, stop signs, no tailwinds, etc.) and you can a true one hour workout. But on the other hand, you also don't have the terrain variations, headwinds/crosswinds, road friction/uneven/rough surfaces and the other things that make you work that much harder .

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Time and intensity

alpka said:
But is 1 hour on the trainer = to 1 road hour? Or is it better than a road hour because there is no coasting or stop signs?
That would be true if the intensity is the same. You can go easy on the road, and easy on the trainer, or hard on either. Perceived effort or heart rate is a good way to make the comparison. Don't get too anal about it. It makes no sense to start counting minutes. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts