Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been discussed but I feel like the effort to hold let's say 300 watts for 10 minutes on a rear wheel trainer is a fair amount more than holding 300 watts on a flat road outside on the bike. Is this all in my head or is there some science to support this?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Its been discussed before and Alex has a few good blog posts about it. Basically it comes down to a few things:

Cooling. Riding at 20 mph has a huge convection cooling effect and you'll be hard pressed to find a fan that can match it.

Loading. Outside has a considerably more inertia than your trainer wheel, which causes you to use different muscles to keep your cadence steady.

Motivation. Riding inside is boring, duh.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
for me its at least 40 watts, its such a big number difference that I have to do some outdoor tests in the early season for use in early TTs. I have a crappy fan though
Whoa, 40 watts is a huge difference!

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I find it harder to carry a high heart rate indoors (even with a big fan). Are you also looking at your relative heart rate when comparing indoor and outdoor power?

for me its at least 40 watts, its such a big number difference that I have to do some outdoor tests in the early season for use in early TTs. I have a crappy fan though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.