Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a mag trainer today to get ready for the season and I noticed that when I am riding, it smells like rubber burning. I stop pedaling and my tire isn't hot and its not putting too much pressure on the tire, because the tire is barely touching the trainer. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
985 Posts
The tire may be slipping on the drive. The trainer will eat tires even when everything is adjusted perfectly. A cheap tire seems to work better and last longer than a really good tire. I have found that cleaning the tire and shaft with alcohol periodically and keeping the air pressure at 100-110 psi helps to reduce slippage.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Two additional things....

1. Your wheel may have slipped in the frame. Since many rear wheel trainers hold onto the actual skewer, sometimes motions on the bike, even adjusting the bike with the trainer attached can sometimes pull the wheel over, thus causing the tire to rub on the inside of the chainstay. Since it is on the side, when you feel the surface of the tire, it feels cool....

2. Something internal to the resistance unit may be going south. Some have a dust cover that slips, but this is uncommon. It may also be a bearing or bearing seal that may be coming apart, but I would think this to be pretty rare.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I experienced the same problem,,,

...with my Fluid 2, and found this to be true: your tire shouldn't be "barely touching", it should be in firm contact with the trainer. The tire may be spinning independently from the trainer, actually burning the tire up. The instruction which came with my Fluid 2 says to turn the adjustment knob 2 full revolutions against the tire. At this point, the tire is not "barely touching".

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts