Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, but didn't turn up anything specific. My wife wants to get a trainer for her bike. I have no experience with them. Can you get a good one for ~$100, or do you need to drop some real coin. I prefer to get out and ride (live in SoCal, so I can do it year-round), but anything to get her on the bike more. She doesn't want to ride afetr wokr in the dark, and I don't want her to.
she was looking at these at performance:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=4120

Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance

·
nothing
120 Posts
I have a Blackburn Trackstand fluid trainer. I think I paid about $160 for it. I like it because it has progressive resistance, and is fairly quiet. The only thing I don't like about it is that indoor riding is boring. Most people seem to like rollers better, but I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The only thing less boring about rollers is the fact that you can actually crash. In your garage.

I ride an indoor trainer a lot, because it's often easie to do specific workouts on a trainer. Yeah it's still not the most thrilling time in the world but it helps if you have:

a.) good music to listen to
b.) specific workout goals, i.e. 4 x 5min intervals with 5min rest in between. It breaks up the monotony.

And I second the vote for Blackburn's trainers.

·
I drank what?
29 Posts
I've used a Travel Trac Century Fluid Plus unit for 3 years now and I love it. It's quiet and smooth and the adjustable resistance works great. Hard to beat the $159 price for a fluid trainer.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts