Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
SCSkim83 said:
Hey guys, does any one know like the break down of hours per week each category would train? Ex: cat 5 = 10 hours etc.
It's very individual, and really depends on the quality of your training. I'm a Cat 3, and over the past year's worth of CyclingPeaks files, I find only two weeks that went to the ten hour threshold. Most are about 7 in the spring/summer, and 4-6 through the "dark" months.

I did a ride with a Cat 4 guy this weekend who is doing 25 hours a week. YMMV

·
Registered
602 Posts
I race cat 4

and usually put in around 10-14 hours in a week. This year, however, has been very hectic with work and family and I'm probably averaging 8 or 9 hours. I've simply cut out 'junk' miles and concentrate on either intervals or very easy recovery. I've never been fitter.

All that said, I can't wait unitl my 'silly season' starts and I can take rambling 7 hour rides in the hills with no direction, aim or intent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As ShawnDoggy said, it's variable. It depends upon your personal training history, race schedule, ability to recover etc. Most importantly, the quality of the time you spend on the bike will have the biggest impact upon this. Ultimately you have to experiment to find that sweet spot. Folks get way too hung up on volume and don't spend enough time thinking about quality and targeting workouts to address holes in their race fitness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.