Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my job because I work from home and it allows me to get out for rides in the middle of the weekdays, among numerous other benefits. However, 2006 looks like a year in which I will be required to travel more, which I am not happy about. Other than being away from my wife and the comforts of home, the biggest drawback to work travel is my time away from my bike and training schedule.

It is looking like twice a month I will have to travel for 3 day/2 night trips where taking a bike is not an option and there is little time for working out at all. Also, work travel usually means less than ideal eating options.

Does anyone else have similar travel woes and how have you managed to cope?

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
Suddha said:
I like my job because I work from home and it allows me to get out for rides in the middle of the weekdays, among numerous other benefits. However, 2006 looks like a year in which I will be required to travel more, which I am not happy about. Other than being away from my wife and the comforts of home, the biggest drawback to work travel is my time away from my bike and training schedule.

It is looking like twice a month I will have to travel for 3 day/2 night trips where taking a bike is not an option and there is little time for working out at all. Also, work travel usually means less than ideal eating options.

Never had this situation. but based on what you say, it sounds like you wont be training on those days. Bottom line: make sure you make the best of those remaining days.

Also, do you know those travel weeks in advance? Is it a set schedule? if so, you can make one of those weeks your monthly recovery week. Now you are just down to one messed up week during your "3 week ON block"

I would GUESS that a 4-day hard block of training, followed by 3 off days (of stretching & core work in your hotel) might not be a bad thing.

Your 2 remaining weeks (travel free) would be training as normal.

just my initial thoughts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm not in this situation either, but it seems you can do a couple of things. As far as your fitness, you could get a good pair of running shoes and go for a run either before or after work to keep up your fitness. Running is something you can do anywhere and witht he right clothes (just layer up in the winter) you can do it any time.

As far as fitness, you could also do home exercises i.e push-ups, sit-ups, squats against the wall. I have a whole routine for when I do travel, though it is not that often. For an even better than normal workout, do situps with your legs extended on a chair at an incline so your front half is lower than back half. Also, when doing situps, put your legs up on a chair at a 90 degree angle. When doing squats, hold the position at 90 degree bend for a while.

As far as nutrition, you should go to the grocery store and stock up on fruits, veggies, and natural energy bars before you go. When you get a chance, snack on an apple, orange, banana, or granola bar. That way you won't be so hungry that you chow down on fatty foods. Also, when you do eat, lean towards salads and drink water instead of soda.

That would be what I recommend.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The impact from running 30 days a season will do no harm. In fact, the opinion that running takes a harsh toll on your body is a myth. I've been running for over 9 years and it has only help me. If you have time for a run with no access to a pool, don't let that article hold you back. Of course, swimming would be the best option if you have the time and resources, b/c it is a great aerobic workout and the cool water prevents muscle breakdown.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Unless you're racing cat 1-2s, or something to that effect, i don't see how a couple of days is going to throw your fitness off.

I also work out of home, and i also travel quite a bit. The only racing i do these days is on the weekends between March & October, and compared to the races i used to do, there no big thing.

anyway, i travel at least once a month, and quite often that's for a week. I missed out on most of August and September because I was in Istanbul for work (not a place to ride, trust me :)).

I guess what I'm trying to say is - don't sweat it.

Suddha said:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
you might want to take a serious look at getting a break-away frame Ritchie make em

take it with you!

or some places will convert your frame for about 500$
pricy but they say the connection is stronger then the frames tubing
you just pay a little weight penalty so

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tell me about it. Sad state of affares....see this thread.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=50979

I've been off the bike since last Wednesday and my first race is five days away. I dont know how adversely it will effect me. I have stayed in numerous hotels, and yet to find a spinning bike. Run of the mill stationary bike does not motivate me to get on it. I suppose its better than nothing, but your best bet is see if you can get a guest pass to a local fitness club like 24hour fitness. I am sitting here in the airport debating whether or not to get on my trainer when I get home. It will be dark by the time I get home.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
I travel about 26 weeks a year. Like you I miss my family but I've found more time to work out when I'm out of town. Without family obligations, I can ride, go to the gym, run, skate, or even walk.

If I'm gone for 3 nights or more, I'll take my Bike Friday folding bike. It fits in an airline legal suitcase. When I'm in a strange city, I look for a park that has a couple mile loop or MUT. They are traffic free and you don't have to worry about getting lost.

If I'm gone a 2 nights, I'll usually run or bring my speed skates.

On overnight trips, I'll workout in the hotel gym..

I managed to ride over 8,000 miles last year and a good portion of that was out of town business travel.

I treat my business trips like a training camp. Since I don't have family obligations; I workout in the mornings, go to work, workout in the evenings and sleep.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd love to have your consistent travel schedule. Last year was hectic for me. I ended up being away from home on average 1 week/month, with those trips being just a few days to 1 month. And all but 2 were international, so I had 10-15 hour flights to deal with. Italy, Paris (twice), Japan (4-5 times?). Those trips mess your schedule up. But I took my bike with me to Japan on a 2 week trip and to Paris on a one week trip since both times I was staying out in the country. For the other trips it was run, run, run or rest. Since I knew my schedule in advance I'd just make sure I put plenty of hard weeks leading up to that travel period and turned it in to a rest week. Your schedule is even easier. Don't incorporate any rest weeks in your training unless you know you won't be traveling for a month. Let those breaks be breaks from the bike as well. You may find you actually have a better year.

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
psuambassador said:
I've been running for over 9 years and it has only help me.
well, thats because you are a runner! :)
I know, from experience, that if i would go out & run a mile today, my legs would be in dire shape tomorrow, limiting my training ride. It takes me weeks to work up to the point where i can enjoy a quick run.

if you run on a normal basis, then sure go with it. If you are like me, and run like a retarded giraffe, then i would stay away from it.

Certainly people include both running & cycling (ie: triatheles, cyclocrossers, etc) but the goal they train for both on a daily basis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts