Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but could not find the answer...

To upgrade from 5 to 4 do training crits count towards your 10 mass start events? I can see why they would not count for other upgrades, but from 5 to 4 it seams to make sense.

Thanks in advance,
Derf

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
1-day USA Cycling licenses (for the C or D races ONLY) can be purchased at the registration desk for $10.00

This makes it sound like a sanctioned event.

· Registered
12,278 Posts
Derf said:
Thanks! I might actually be able to upgrade this year.

Derf
While most people will try to convince you that you should be in Cat 2 or 3 ASAP, but take your time and upgrade when you're ready. I know there are a lot of riders who upgrade to Cat 4 right away and there tends to be a decent amount of crashes because there are a lot of riders who are faster than their handling skills. There have been a lot of Cat 4 crashes this year where I'm from, probably more than the other categories combined.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spade2you,
Thanks for the advice. I have done a bit of racing crits and practice crits for the last two years. But, I never thought that I could add the practice crits to get an upgrade and never got ten other events in a year. I race 'cross and use this time for fun and getting in shape, but I want to upgade so that when I enter other races, the start time is not 8AM.

Derf

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Time limit

Derf said:
But, I never thought that I could add the practice crits to get an upgrade and never got ten other events in a year.
You don't need to do 10 races in a year, just 10 races. I'm sure there's effectively some sort of time limit, but it's way more than a year. More likely it's when your local official has a water pipe break and it ruins all the records he has stored in the basement.

· Registered
12,278 Posts
Derf said:
Spade2you,
Thanks for the advice. I have done a bit of racing crits and practice crits for the last two years. But, I never thought that I could add the practice crits to get an upgrade and never got ten other events in a year. I race 'cross and use this time for fun and getting in shape, but I want to upgade so that when I enter other races, the start time is not 8AM.

Derf
Ah, then you're probably good to go. I recently upgraded, but found out that locally some guys were upgrading after doing very well in a race or two. I was actually kinda debating hanging back for a while due to the massive amounts of crashes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.