Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You need to work on your starts, your speed, and finally your ability on the last lap to ignore the feeling of being burned alive.

Do you have a velodrome where you can work out? Training on a fixed gear bike, on the road, is never a good idea.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The start is quite different in technique from anything on the road. The closest thing to compare it to is doing a deadlift. For this reason, the upper body has to be tight, the core tight, and bike straight (no side to side bike movement until going fairly fast). It's completely different from the road type out of the saddle movement with the bike rocking side to side. There are videos of kilo starts which you can study: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meTomy4M8dw and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXeBiFh3484 of Olympic champion Chris Hoy (he will keep his title this year, by the way).

-ilan

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Do you have a velodrome where you can work out? Training on a fixed gear bike, on the road, is never a good idea.
More people than you want to know ride around here, at speed, on brakeless track bikes. Most of the time they keep them upright, too.

BUT, for training on the road, a front brake is definitely essential. Many track bikes have a brake hole in the fork – use it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doctor Who said:
More people than you want to know ride around here, at speed, on brakeless track bikes. Most of the time they keep them upright, too.

BUT, for training on the road, a front brake is definitely essential. Many track bikes have a brake hole in the fork – use it.
The main idea is using my 53/12 for the start or may be 53/17 and gradually increased ...?
I don't have a track bike, and I must use the road bike for the competition, no track bike allowed, it's the rule ....

Thanks

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
bianchi77 said:
The main idea is using my 53/12 for the start or may be 53/17 and gradually increased ...?
I don't have a track bike, and I must use the road bike for the competition, no track bike allowed, it's the rule ....

Thanks
The best way to figure out your gearing is to practice your starts just like they'll be in competition (I'm guessing you'll have someone holding you).

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
So that they could include BMX racing. - TF
Which as we know was a complete crock of **** and was UCI's way of giving the IOC the two fingered salute.

Can you imagine removing the 400 metre race from the track & field program?

Or removing the 100m freestyle event from the swimming?

That's effectively what they've done. :cryin:

·
Registered
429 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
So that they could include BMX racing. - TF
That's not the entire story. BMX meant eliminating one track event, so the UCI arbitrarily chose the kilometer, the complete story of how they chose this is not entirely clear. By the way, they also eliminated the women's 500m ITT.

They had other choices, for example, the points race which is definitely not as popular, and is also problematic as there is a limit for each country (I think it is 1 for the women and 1 or 2 for the men) so countries like Italy have as many competitors as Columbia) and pretty often, a country decides to field a rider from the road race instead of their best points racer. For example, Jeannie Golay rode for the USA in 1996 when she had hardly ever ridden the track whereas Jessica Grieco was one of the top 3 points racers in the world but didn't go. Also in 1996, Maureen Kaila got 5th at the Olympics points race riding for El Salvador, but she wasn't even the best women's points racer at her home track in San Jose, CA, so the US would have had a very good chance of getting a medal in that race.

-ilan

·
Registered
342 Posts
ilan said:
That's not the entire story. BMX meant eliminating one track event, so the UCI arbitrarily chose the kilometer, the complete story of how they chose this is not entirely clear. By the way, they also eliminated the women's 500m ITT.

They had other choices, for example, the points race which is definitely not as popular, and is also problematic as there is a limit for each country (I think it is 1 for the women and 1 or 2 for the men) so countries like Italy have as many competitors as Columbia) and pretty often, a country decides to field a rider from the road race instead of their best points racer. For example, Jeannie Golay rode for the USA in 1996 when she had hardly ever ridden the track whereas Jessica Grieco was one of the top 3 points racers in the world but didn't go. Also in 1996, Maureen Kaila got 5th at the Olympics points race riding for El Salvador, but she wasn't even the best women's points racer at her home track in San Jose, CA, so the US would have had a very good chance of getting a medal in that race.

-ilan
1) They could have eliminated the team sprint, keirin, or the madison. The points race probably wasn't up for consideration as it is the only individual mass start endurance track event.

2) I don't think you can use each countrie's qualification criteria for judging whether the points race should be eliminated. Or the UCI can revise the qualifcation system.

3) Re: 1996. The points race is much more of a crap shoot than some other races -- who knows how well Grieco may have done. Good road riders can also do well in points races: perhaps Golay was an okay choice. I just don't know enough about her track background. (edit: okay, I reread your post. Maybe Golay was a bad choice despite being a strong rider)
Who was better than Kaila at San Jose? I was out of the country so I'd like to know.

·
Registered
429 Posts
tobu said:
1) They could have eliminated the team sprint, keirin, or the madison. The points race probably wasn't up for consideration as it is the only individual mass start endurance track event.

2) I don't think you can use each countrie's qualification criteria for judging whether the points race should be eliminated. Or the UCI can revise the qualifcation system.

3) Re: 1996. The points race is much more of a crap shoot than some other races -- who knows how well Grieco may have done. Good road riders can also do well in points races: perhaps Golay was an okay choice. I just don't know enough about her track background. (edit: okay, I reread your post. Maybe Golay was a bad choice despite being a strong rider)
Who was better than Kaila at San Jose? I was out of the country so I'd like to know.
As I understand it, no one was consulted for the decision to remove an event, some UCI person just made it up, pretty much all national federations, coaches, and riders were against removing the kilo and 500m ITT. As you say, other events could have been removed, I gave the points race as an example because it is often the case that the best riders don't even get to ride because their federation doesn't have enough spots for them, as opposed to the other track races you mentioned where all the favorites should be there.

If I remember correctly it was Jeannie Golay's first ever track race.

I believe that Megan Troxell was at least as good as Maureen Kaila in 1996, she was collegiate nationals pursuit champion (beating Laura Reed, sister of current Olympian) and was a very good points racer as well. Megan had some good pursuit times, she finished 11th at 1998 worlds just ahead of Leontien van Moorsel with a 3:42, I believe. That said, I did finally get to watch the 1996 points race earlier this year (it was shown on French ESPN Classic!!) and Maureen Kaila rode a very good race to get her points.

In any case, some things have improved. I remember when the gold medal at the Olympics was decided by who won the East German title and got the only team spot.

-ilan

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Overgeared for the kilo.

bianchi77 said:
What should I train most for my 1000m Time Trial on the Velodrome ?
Little late to the party, but the kilo was my favorite (read: most successful) event back in the day. First thing: unless you lack any kind of leg speed, a 53 x 12 is much too high a gear. Ride a 53 x 16 for the entire event, then try a 53 x 15 if you feel it could make you faster. Only the stopwatch will tell you the truth. In my view, gear shifting schemes are useless or can even work against you in the kilo. Small tip: if you feel like you're accelerating in the last 250 meters, it's because you slowed down during the preceding 250 meters.

For most people, the key to kilo training is to brake up the event into 4 sections and train for each one separately as explained at the link, then put it all together.

http://www.cptips.com/trnanal.htm

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.