Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to road cycling, and enjoying the change, I've raced XC but your usually on the bike for 2 hours give or take. As a below knee amputee I wear a silicon liner between my residual limb (stump) and the socket, this has never been an issue until I started endurance training. The 3 or more hours in the saddle leaves the back of my knee raw from the liner rubbing. After a 35 mile ride last weekend, I'm unable to get into my leg, and needless to say no riding till I heal. Do you think that chamois butter would prevent this in the future? Any suggestions? THX

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think you should speak with your prosthesis fitter, and get on forums with amputee long distance riders. IMO you are going to want to look at something less generic than chamois butter (which on the best of days is a very mixed bag of opinions). I think you need something that stops the friction, period. Do you wrap the stump still? What modifications are available to amputee athletes, that is really what you want to know. Have you had a specific fitting for your prosthesis etc? Do you have a sports type physio near you? Do you use any lube for the XC?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I race the Sea Otter, I had a different socket, and a different suspension system (the method of securing stump to prosthetic leg) My new system is a sports liner and pin lock. I do trade info with other leg amputees from "Ride2Recovery" and "Challenged Athletes Foundation" that's where I got the "Chamois Butt'r" suggestion. I did find some glide gel I can try after the wounds heal. The resources specifically for amputee cyclist information is very limited, especially for advice on a competitive level. I will compete in the Pacific Grove Triathlon in September, I will do it without knowing how to transition, hop, crutch, or crawl! These answers are far more difficult to obtain than one would think. THX

·
Registered
940 Posts
I am sure you are right about resources, the butters though, are often less a lube and more a barrier (like a diaper cream). If you want skin lube to reduce friction, you might look at a skin safe silicone liquid, which is very slippery, for skin type versions look at trying a cheap small hair shine product which are just silicon based products (do some label reading in the hair ailise). You can buy an amputee specific product (ALPS) but you can also buy different silicones from cosmetic suppliers such as Lotioncrafter for a much better price. This is only for once you are healed though. It is just a random idea though. When I asked about fitting, is your bike fitted to you and your prosthesis? Do you feel your position is optimal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You asked about "bike fitting". I have made small adjustments since the initial fitting at the time of purchase, it feels great! The only thing is I've gone clipless, on my prosthetic leg I've placed the cleat as far to the rear as possible, I have found on my mountain bike with flats and five tens, I achieve more power pedaling with the center of my foot, with it directly positioned under the pylon. Not only is the flex in the carbon foot eliminated but the max degree of knee flexion is reduced slightly. So yes, I think your right, this difference from flats to eggbeaters and the difference in foot position could be the culprit. But without a custom cycling leg, foot/cleat, I think I'll have to treat the symptoms, and not the cause. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nothing to add except my support as you try to mitigate your problem and train toward your goal.
Not sure if there are message boards on their site but when I rode with a bunch of vets from Wounded Warrior Project they all had their individual rituals to get their leg(s) arm(s) etc mounted up and ready.
Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hope you find a tweak that works for you, I have never used them but in my city the ortho center has a physiotherapist who does bike fittings. I am always a bit sceptical about generic bike shop fitters but having someone who can tweak based on physiological, anatomical AND mechanical knowledge seems like a service that should be free and available for you? Good luck!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to let you know I healed enough to get in a 30 mile ride this weekend and I put body glide on with chamois butt'r behind my knee at the trouble area, and great results, absolutely no blisters, irritation or even redness! I even passed some of my two legged counterparts!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I rode a 92 miler on sat with over 7000 feet of climb (max elevation 9400) and I rode a bit of the way near a guy with BKA and a prosthetic and he was over 60. He was doing an awesome job and was cheering me on LOL, as we whinged our way up one of the climbs. He looked great on the bike, I didn't notice until a friend pointed it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.