Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will ride a race in a few weeks at 7000'. I live and ride at around 1000'-2000'. Besides training at altitude, what, if any, is the best way to prepare a lowlander like myself for this higher altitude race?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
The articles and papers I have read say that if you can't spend at least a week or better two weeks at altitude, you're better to just show up and ride. Getting to altitude a few days before the event is supposedly worse.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
woodys737 said:
I will ride a race in a few weeks at 7000'. I live and ride at around 1000'-2000'. Besides training at altitude, what, if any, is the best way to prepare a lowlander like myself for this higher altitude race?

Thanks all!
Isn't it kind of too late already if it is in a few weeks?

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
...same problem...

yeah, i have have a similar problem. race in a few weeks that starts at about 7000ft then goes over a couple of passes near 11,000ft. i live at 3000ft. i too have read that if you can't get there a few weeks early, then it is best to get there as late as possible. i'm not going to be able to get up there a few weeks early, and beings that it is 400 miles away from where i live, i can't exactly drive there in the morning and ride. i'm going to get there a day and a half early, which i know isn't good, but then again i'm not planning on winning the race. last year i was a little less than an hour behind the people that won it. if you are in the same position, i would not be worrying about the altitude. what race are you riding in/what cat/how far away is it from your home? good luck to you!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I live at 2000' and train from sea level to 2500'. The last three years I have shown up the day before the Markleeville Death Ride and done just fine. It's from 5500' to 8700'. I may be gasping for air on the drive over, but I'm ok during the ride.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Iron supplements

woodys737 said:
You might consider taking an iron supplement for a month or so before you go. If your Hct is already high, then this is probably not worth it.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just an aspiring cat4 who is rather old, but having a ton of fun. I realize my time has past, but I'd still like to compete with the younger riders and peers. Is there an easy/cheap way to test Hct levels? I think a CBC for me is a bit over the top. Still, it would be interesting to know...Thanks, again.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Give blood

woodys737 said:
Is there an easy/cheap way to test Hct levels?
If you've had a physical where they took blood, they did an Hct, and probably a hemoglobin. You could call your doctor and ask for the results. Also, at our local blood bank, they run an Hct as part of the screening for donation process. If you donate blood, you're doing a lot of good for your community and you get to find out your Hct for free. Just don't donate within two weeks of any important event!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.