Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing if anyone has any advice on what to do to train for your first race. This is not a timed race I am doing, but I can chose from a 20 mile ride or 40 mile ride. The race in July 21st so I don't have a lot of time!

Any helpful hints on workouts and biking ideas/rides to help me get ready for the race?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
Just seeing if anyone has any advice on what to do to train for your first race. This is not a timed race I am doing, but I can chose from a 20 mile ride or 40 mile ride. The race in July 21st so I don't have a lot of time!

Any helpful hints on workouts and biking ideas/rides to help me get ready for the race?

Thanks!
First of all, it is not a race. It's an event that you can ride at your own pace. Unless you are grossly out of shape you should have little difficulty completing either ride. The main thing is to get in enough saddle time so that your butt toughens up. On the longer ride you will most likely need to eat something so if they don't have feed stops and there aren't small towns or stores along the route then take something to eat (cookies, mixed nuts, candy bars, whatever you like). Hydration is important as well, and if the weather is very hot/humid then electrolytes might be needed too.

As a rule of thumb you can complete a ride if you can ride half the distance comfortably. So if you can ride 20 without feeling hammered, then 40 is within your grasp.

If you would tell us what your current riding is like we can tell you what to do next.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, it is not a race. It's an event that you can ride at your own pace. Unless you are grossly out of shape you should have little difficulty completing either ride. The main thing is to get in enough saddle time so that your butt toughens up. On the longer ride you will most likely need to eat something so if they don't have feed stops and there aren't small towns or stores along the route then take something to eat (cookies, mixed nuts, candy bars, whatever you like). Hydration is important as well, and if the weather is very hot/humid then electrolytes might be needed too.

As a rule of thumb you can complete a ride if you can ride half the distance comfortably. So if you can ride 20 without feeling hammered, then 40 is within your grasp.

If you would tell us what your current riding is like we can tell you what to do next.

Thanks!
I have done spin class for a few months and just got my bike last month. I've road it once...the weather out here is hot and humid, but very flat land.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Your poor bike, neglected all this time. Get out and ride! And you don't need to be eating much if anything on a 20 or 40 ride. Be careful about all the eating advice you hear. Spin is great, but it is not cycling. I love spin in winter and have my own spin bike but remain frustrated at the way spin is spun LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.