Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fun seeing folks on the route the past couple weekends. Last Sat we did Squaw to I Springs, then up to Silver Plume and back I70 over Floyd to Bergen Park. This Sat was Loveland Ski Area, up over Loveland Pass, Swan Mtn to Vail Pass and back. Both days were 70+mi, and too much vert to count. Nearly bonked on the final return climb over Loveland Pass, but the top was there just in time. So many of the folks we passed or stopped to chat with are doing the Triple in a few weeks. Anybody else been out there with us?

· Registered
78 Posts
I did the start of the triple on Sat from Bergen to Bakerville and back over Floyd. My neighbor was with me and wasn't going to make it back over Juniper a second time. So as a first timer doing the Triple, where does the route go from Bakerville? Is it on I70 or is there some bike path I didn't see to Loveland ski area?

· Registered
36 Posts
At 5 AM on the 10th I started from the Evergreen Park and Ride and rode to Echo Lake and back. I wanted to continue on up Mt Evans, but I didn't have the $3 for parks fee and had to get home for my daughter's b-day party anyway. I usually ride in the hills west of Boulder.

· Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Route from Bakerville

From Bakerville you hop on the interstate. It's a nice wide shoulder, but still not the most enjoyable part of the route. You get off the interstate at US6, the ski area is a 1/2 mile or so from the exit.

Good luck and have fun.

· Registered
61 Posts
Same routes

On Saturday I rode from exit 216 over Loveland Pass, down to Dillon and around the reservoir with family (reservoir part, not the pass).

On Sunday I rode from home (Evergreen, about a mile from the park & ride) over to Echo Lake and back. I was also hoping to try Mt. Evans, but wasn't dressed warmly enough to venture up.

I picked up a tack in my rear tire on the return down Squaw to Evergreen. I recall that this was a problem in last year's Triple, and I pray that we don't get a repeat this year. I don't care if it's windy, rains or snows -- please God no sickos with tacks (or worse).

It's a great route, and I'm looking forward to a fun ride.

· Registered
23 Posts
Last weekend firends and I did the Copper Triangle, with the last climb being Vail Pass (east to west). The weekend before, we did Idaho Springs to Loveland Pass, Swan Mountain, and finished in Blue River on the other side of Breck. This coming Saturday, we are going to start in Bergen Park and ride over Squaw Pass to Echo Lake and then up Mt Evans. Since I've never done Mt. Evans, I'm pretty much scared to death!

jim

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim, I'm leaning to Mt. Evans via Squaw pass on sat also. I've climbed Mt. Evans before, but only from Echo Lake. After the Copper Triangle, it shouldn't be too bad, just keep an eye on the weather. And just think of the altitude training you'll get for the triple. You'll get to the highest elev on the Triple, and get to climb another couple thousand feet! It'll purify the lungs for next week. :cool:

I'll probably start in Bergen Park around 7am. If you see a guy on a black Look 585 with blue shoes say hi!

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody else up on Evans during the hail storm? Ouch! I was at the road closure at Summit Lake when it let loose. A biker had gone down on the road swells approaching the lake and the Flight for Life chopper landed on the road to take him out-hope he's ok. Even with all the extra gear I had, it was a cold dangerous descent. I'll try it again in the next couple weeks after the Triple. Gonna do some loop up Deer Cr canyon tomorrow, a couple flat ones Tues/Wed, then take Thurs, Fri off. See ya on the course Saturday!

· Registered
23 Posts
ahh, the weather...

We left Bergen Park about an hour later than planned (around 9.00). As we went over Sqaw Pass, the weather started looking crappy. By the time we reached Echo Lake, it was raining a bit, so we holed up in Echo Lake. The sun came out and things were looking ok, so we decided to go for it. Around mile 7 or so, it started raining, then snowing, lightning, and then hail. I was hoping it would clear up enough to make it to the top, but the combination of the hail stinging me and way-too-close lightning was enough for me to give up at Summit Lake. A very kind couple (Keith and Carol Wier of Denver) were kind enough to give me a ride to the bottom. My 2 buddies and I had $14 between us, and so we went into the cafe at the Echo Lake gift shop. A very, very, very nice waitress helped us stretch this into 3 cups of hot chocolate and 3 cups of soup. After the shivering subsided and the rain subsided, we booked it back to Bergen Park in 45 minutes.

The good news: I was feeling strong when we gave up. More good news: I wasn't the guy on the Flight for Life. Bad news: I'll have to give it another go some other time to make my first summit at Mt Evans.

All in all, it was an eventful day.

jim

· Registered
61 Posts
pounded

I rode from Idaho Spings to Dillon via Loveland pass yesterday and ran into the same thing -- rain just before the pass summit, and hail down to just below A-Basin. I got welts all over my arms and legs, but the shelter of a fortunately-placed highway shed kept things from getting any worse. I had hail the size of lima beans stuck to me.

This is all part of riding in the high country. Start early, bring protective gear, and plan for what you'll do when it gets worse, because it can always get worse.

There were a lot of cyclists on the Triple course yesterday and today, so there are probably a lot of stories to tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.