Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started logging my training on a spreadsheet, but it is a little clunky. Does anyone know of a slick Excel template for this purpose or perhaps some purpose built database software? I am not looking for anything super sophisticated; just want to kick it up a notch.

I am returning to the sport after a layoff of more than ten years. My immediate goal is get fit enough to do centuries. Longer term, I have my sights set on the Death Ride in the summer of '08 (I'll be 50).

·
Registered
676 Posts
Relative to your preference

Winning Stats is a very simple, non-complex log that allows me to record races and general training rides; time spent, time expected, weather conditions, comments, etc., and program normal routes, specific bikes rode, etc....serious racers would probably want the other two or the Polar download series....I'm just a biker who loves to get out on the road:thumbsup: They're all FREE, so it doesn't cost anything but a minute or two to download either....

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,497 Posts
Looking at the winning stats, the only advantage I can see over a simple spreadsheet is portability. I keep a log of the days I ride to work, the time it takes, the calories burnt (from Polar HRM) and any notes I feel relavent. Simple, easy to chart. What more could I want?

·
Registered
635 Posts
thanks a ton. winning stats was a bit to complex for me. not that i didn't understand it, i just didnt like it as much, i dont really care about weather, and there was just tooo much.

i think im gonna end up using the uk cyclinglog one. only downside is you cant distinguish between racing and training in the totals, but it is easier to use and it computes avg. speed for you, kinda nice. untill i decide its for me im gonna keep my spreadsheet though.

thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use Bikejournal.com. It compares your mileage with others and its cool to see yourself move up on the list after logging a ride. It is free, but you have to pay for extra features. Worth it in my opinion. They also have a nice looking jersey you can buy. Plenty of stat tracking too.

And no, I don't work for them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cyclistats

I really like Cyclistats:
http://www.cyclistats.com/
Not free, but works great. You can enter different riders, bikes, routes etc. It also allows you to set goals and keep track of maintenance and health stats. Of course it also lets you graph just about every metric by week or month: Distance, speed, time, climbing, HR, power etc. Its real power is when you have entered more than a years worth of data as you can compare your progression to other years.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wko

it's not free but for $100 WKO is the most sophisticated training s/w on the market with direct link capability to many h/w devices (Polar, PowerTap, SRM, Garmin, etc etc). it's pretty much the standard among all the coaches and racers I know, and compared to lots of other things you could spend $100 on, a very good value. but if you aren't looking to spend $100 on anything then maybe it looks expensive...

Cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.