Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched from running to biking. I'm pretty clueless about how much I should be doing. I use a heart rate monitor so I have the intensity down, but its the duration that I'm wondering about. I know it mainly depends on how much time I have and how much I can handle, but I was wondering if anybody has any links of peoples training, so I could get somewhat of an idea, or if someone could give me an example. Currently I'm doing 12 hours a week, all at easy pace (70%) to begin to build a base. I take one day off a week, and one week a month is an easy week. Thus far I feel great.
Also in a month or so I'm going to begin tempo rides. For my training for running, tempos runs began with an hour continous at 80%. With biking I figure I need to go longer, so are tempo rides for 90 min, or 120 min or longer?
One more question. Are doubles (A.M. and P.M. rides) pretty common in the cycling world. So far the schedules I've seen, I've never seen doubles.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
you don't tell us what you are training for...

racing? what type?
touring?

figure out where you want to be, read the training bible and map out a path to get there...

overtraining is very common. Be sure to rest well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dfleck said:
you don't tell us what you are training for...

racing? what type?
touring?

figure out where you want to be, read the training bible and map out a path to get there...

overtraining is very common. Be sure to rest well.

True, I did realize that after after I wrote the above. I ordered the training bible yesterday. Thanks for the reminder to rest well. The training I go by (hadd) is very big on resting, but still overtraining happens easily.
This year I plan on doing time trials and later in the season maybe a road race or two. All race distances between about 20 to 35 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts