Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year racer. I do the weekly training crit and I'm wondering if it is considered poor form to attack immediately after a prime. There's 4 or 5 guys that manage to take most every prime and podium spot before doing the A race. So I'm thinking an attack after a prime would be a good would to split the pack up. But I'm not sure this is acceptable at a training race. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's a training race, so pretty much everything should be fair game. Isn't that the whole point? Try stuff out, see what works or doesn't, try other stuff. At least that's how every training race I've ever done has been.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have succesfully made my solo break that way. I am not sure if there are unwritten rules at your training race, but in a real race, it is deffinately fair game.

I would say try it and deal with a "scolding" later if they didn't like it. The best way to make it stick is sit in on the last guy going for the prime, and jump right as they start to sit up. Doing this for a later prime is the best so that you don't have to stay away so long and so that they are a bit tired out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The B race is a half hour with one prime midway. There is always a lull in the pace since the guys that go for the prime are typically the stronger guys that are pulling the peloton along. Its typically been an all out sprint and the're pretty beat. I'm not so much aiming for a solo break but I figure worst case there is a good chance me forcing the pace at that point will cause the guys who typically take podium to burn the rest of their matches just trying to hang on for the last 10 15 minutes and have nothing left for a final sprint. Sound like it stands a chance? Like I said, first year racer, so I'm just trying to think outside the box to get the upper hand.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Try it with another guy some time. If you are both strong, and catch them by surprise, you could easily get a gap and get to sharing pulls while they are huffing and puffing.

Tactics are about beating those stronger than you and catching them by surprise or when they are already on the limit.

On training rides/hero rides, I will attack some times when my main competition has just reached the back of a pace line after a pull. They hate that, but it is all in good fun. I get the same thing from them on ocassion.

·
Registered
487 Posts
There nothing wrong with attacking after the prime, or attacking at any time for that matter. After a prime is a good time. The best time to attack is when everyone, or particularly the people who would shut you down, are tired.

Basically - the only time it could be bad to attack is if there is a team-related reason (something to do with your own team-mates). There could be occasions where people don't like it, such as after a huge crash or something. But still, that's racing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well. I was trying to stay mid-pack and keep fresh for the attack. But when it started to rain I nixed that and moved to the relative safety of the front. Got into a couple breaks that didn't get far and then the race was cancelled due to thunderstorms and a report of a tornado. So unfortunately I did not get to put everyones tips into practice this week. Hopefully next weeks race is a little more cooperative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts