Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to kick my training into full gear: I've got my base mileage done, and now I'm thinking about starting to pack it on.
I was thinking about doing either 25-30 miles per day (MTWT, Sat club ride, Sun recover), or 40 miles every other day (T/Thurs/Sat club ride). What do you guys think is the best? Or something different altogether?
I know the "shorter more frequent rides are better than less frequent longer rides" rule, but it seems to me like that wouldnt be the case in a situation like this, because every other day riding is still pretty frequent.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Not apples and apples

As I read your plan, the MTWT riding will net you about 110 miles per week vs. 80 miles with the T/T 40 milers. This is getting to be a significant difference in volume. That said, you need to integrate this into your goals, and you haven't said what they are. On top of this is the issue of quality. Again depending on your goals, either plan could be more productive with structured intervals, power work, etc. mixed in. Tell us what your goals are, and you'll get better answers.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kerry Irons said:
As I read your plan, the MTWT riding will net you about 110 miles per week vs. 80 miles with the T/T 40 milers. This is getting to be a significant difference in volume. That said, you need to integrate this into your goals, and you haven't said what they are. On top of this is the issue of quality. Again depending on your goals, either plan could be more productive with structured intervals, power work, etc. mixed in. Tell us what your goals are, and you'll get better answers.
my goals are to increase my average speed up to 22mph by late june/early july, my current average is 18.5-19.5 over 60 miles (although springs here are _really_ windy, so on the way out i might be expending a heck of a lot of energy... 20+mph winds are the norm). i also want to improve my endurance, so that i can kick up the mileage without a problem later on (kick up meaning break my training up into weeks: 2 weeks at X miles per week, then over a third week and 4th, phase in 50 more miles per week (so +25 week 3, +25 week 4), as well as just being able to go longer, faster, harder (no jokes please, i know i'm fifteen and that's supposed innuendo but i'm actually being serious).

quality is an issue, i forgot to mention that the workouts would be done at the same rate, say, 19-21mph to start. i'd attempt to hold that speed for either workout setup. FYI the club rides on saturdays, the last one was ~60 miles and we averaged around 19.5, if that helps. i'm not sure how much longer the rides will get throughout the year, as this is my first year with C-U Racing, but i'm guessing we'll get up to 80 miles and stay there, working more on speed than endurance at that point.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
The big jump

Increasing average speed to 22 from 19 means a 45% increase in power. I hate to rain on your parade, but that would be quite a jump in just 4 months. The normal guideline on increasing volume is 10% per week, but you want to increase it by maybe triple that. So, to call your goals extremely ambitions would be an understatement. However, if you are not at all stressed with your current program, then maybe this volume increase is possible.

Rather than trying to hold a given speed for the entire ride, you would be better off using speed intervals - going pretty hard for 10-20 minutes, spinning easily for 5-10 minutes, and repeating this 2-3 times. Start out with the shorter times and 2X repeats, and work your way up. Also, you should understand that if you average 19.5 in a group ride, assuming you're riding in a pace line, there's no way you'll be able to keep that pace by yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts