Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm leading a cross-country bicycle trip this summer; we'll be averaging 80 miles a day, going from the east coast of New Hampshire up to Vancouver, B.C. It's through a really cool organization called Bike and Build. Along the way we raise awareness for affordable housing issues and build homes with Habitat chapters.

It's gonna be a great trip. As a cyclist trying to be more competitive in collegiate racing, I'd like to improve as much as possible over the course of the summer (in addition to enjoying a once in a lifetime opportunity)

My sample schedule would look something like this; basically, every fourth riding day I'm driving a support van, and we'll also be stopping to build houses every week or so.

Monday: 80 miles
Tuesday: 70 miles
Wednesday: off day
Thursday: 80 miles
Friday: 80 miles
Saturday: off day
Sunday: 50 miles

If I want to maximize my summer improvement, what kind of workouts would you suggest on the bike? When would you do intervals? I just started cycling last fall and had my first collegiate racing season this spring; just looking to get some more structured training in to be really strong for next year.

I'm just looking to get some kind of training schedule hammered out before I'm on the road. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I should have clarified; it will vary. For example we have some 120 mile days in the Midwest, and some shorter days in the hilly parts of the Northeast/Rockies. So it'll all vary; but when I'm biking, it'll average that distance. Every week will have different balances of off/on days...

but I like your idea. Just working, recovering, working, recovering; mixing up sprints/TT efforts etc.?

I figure as long as I keep working different things and staying focused (while still enjoying the ride, that's what it is really for) I'll be just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.